5x5 strong lifts- how fast did you progress?

Options
I'm not moving up each week. It's more like adding weights a bit each month. Is that normal? How fast did some of you move up with this program?

Replies

• Getlost1369
    Getlost1369 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    May I ask what program? Are you able to do more reps with the weight are using?
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5. I figured I was relatively healthy and what I thought as "fit" but I struggle still with just the weight of the bar at times.
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    I could probably do more reps but just not increasing weight.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5. I figured I was relatively healthy and what I thought as "fit" but I struggle still with just the weight of the bar at times.

When did you start? Just the bar...on all 5 lifts? Have you been able to add weight to the bar for any of the lifts? How much?

I was adding weight every workout at the beginning. I had to start deloading the different lifts at different points...for OHP (and sometimes bench) I had to buy fractional weights (they range from 1/4lb-1lb) so I could increase in much smaller increments.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Are you eating above maintenance? You can increase some initially since you're getting more complete neuromuscular firing but muscle gain does require a surplus.

I got increases as long as I had a surplus. Once I decided to maintain or cut, it stopped, which I expected. Also, have you done a deload?
  • ChiWho
    ChiWho Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Deload? They said they struggle with just the bar.. how can there be any deload?
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    ChiWho wrote: »
    Deload? They said they struggle with just the bar.. how can there be any deload?

That's why I'm trying to clarify if she's talking about all 5 lifts...if she's struggling with the bar on Squats, how is she getting the bar up at all on OHP and bench?
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Progress will be non linear... i have deloaded and increased reps at lower weights... its important to fuel your workout... protein and carbs at least 1/2 hour in advance of your workout... Be consistent and add more protein to your diet... you will get there... a foer co-worker... used ladder sets to break through her plateaus... she is 5-1... 100 lbs and she was front squatting 165... be patient adding muscle takes way longer... so incremental strength increases take just as long
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Do you have very small plates? Like 2.5lb or smaller? I find it very difficult to progress by 5-10lbs on OHP and bench, well even on deadlift and squat once you've been at it a while and hit a plateau. Having those tiny plates helps a lot. If you just can't add any weight, add a rep to each set or add one extra set to each exercise until you are able to add weight.
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »

When did you start? Just the bar...on all 5 lifts? Have you been able to add weight to the bar for any of the lifts? How much?

I was adding weight every workout at the beginning. I had to start deloading the different lifts at different points...for OHP (and sometimes bench) I had to buy fractional weights (they range from 1/4lb-1lb) so I could increase in much smaller increments.

I'm two months into lifting with the 5x5 app.

Here are my weights:
    OHP: 45lbs (just the bar)- have started with this weight and never been able to go heavier
    Squat: 95lbs
    Deadlift: 100lbs
    BenchPress: 55lbs (just barely more than the bar)
    Barbell Rows: 65lbs

I have been able to add to my lifts but not much. I'm feeling discouraged because I don't feel like I'm making progress though I keep trying to remind myself that 2 months just probably isn't a fair enough time to judge anything. I just feel shaky and weak and unstable with nearly every lift. And while I've been practicing good form at home, it all seems to go out the window when I work with any substantial weight. If I deload on some of my lifts to work on my form, then I don't feel like the weights are heavy enough to give me any sort of work out. Again, just discouraged.
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    Are you eating above maintenance? You can increase some initially since you're getting more complete neuromuscular firing but muscle gain does require a surplus.

I got increases as long as I had a surplus. Once I decided to maintain or cut, it stopped, which I expected. Also, have you done a deload?

I'm eating at maintenance right now. I read that newbies to diet/lifting are the exception to being able to eat at maintenance or at a deficit and still gain muscle. Hoping that's right.... ?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Maintenance calories should be fine. Just stick with it. Are you doing any other workouts? Do you get enough sleep?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm progressing VERY slowly but (1) I'm old and (2) have chronic health issues. I increase by small amounts (1.5 kg) and work on form,increasing reps until I can increase weight. Progress is slow but I'm not in a hurry so I guess it depends on your goals.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    OP are you doing any other exercise? Cardio, Insanity or HIIT or running or anything else like that. SL5X5 is pretty demanding for strength and needs some pretty good recovery. Someone up there mentioned sleep, it's the single most important factor for recovery, then calories are. If you aren't eating or sleeping enough, that would do it for sure, or if you aren't getting enough rest between workout days.

If you feel comfortable and want to increase the weights, eat at a calorie surplus for a few weeks.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    OP are you doing any other exercise? Cardio, Insanity or HIIT or running or anything else like that. SL5X5 is pretty demanding for strength and needs some pretty good recovery. Someone up there mentioned sleep, it's the single most important factor for recovery, then calories are. If you aren't eating or sleeping enough, that would do it for sure, or if you aren't getting enough rest between workout days.

If you feel comfortable and want to increase the weights, eat at a calorie surplus for a few weeks.

The thing about sleep bothers me. I'm a chronic insomniac and even on a good night I don't get more than 5.5 - 6 hours. Does this actually impact on muscle growth or is it performance that's affected?
  • abbynormalartist
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »

I've been trying to only do the strong lifts but I occasionally do 10-20 minutes of jogging on the treadmill just to get my heat rate up a bit. And I work out every other day.

As for sleep- I average about 7 hours of sleep. I used to get 8 but I had to cut from that since I'm now going to the gym in the evening after my kids are in bed.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I started SL 5 x 5 on June 1st of this year. So far my progress has been:
    1. Bench press: empty bar to 95lbs
    2. OHP: empty bar to 65lbs (I've had to deload this one once. I am buying fractional plates just to slowly increase the weight instead of going every 5lbs)
    3. Squat: empty bar to 135lbs
    4. Barbell row: 65lbs to 100lbs
    5. Deadlift: 95lbs to 170lbs

I know Medhi says that you have to eat in a surplus with this program but I haven't done so yet. I've just worked towards eating as close to maintenance as possible and plan to keep up with 5x5 until Late August just to see what numbers I can get to. I think progress between people depends on your starting weight (I'm 5'7 hovering 163lbs), and how strong you were before you began the program (I did progressive calisthenics as my main source of exercise).

I mentioned that I'm buying some fractional olympic weights (1.25lbs), I've already bought the 2.5lb plates because my gym doesnt have them. It let's me increase my weight slowly with the lifts and with the even smaller weights I'll be able to not stay at 65lbs on OHP for a longer period of time. However I don't believe that's a bad thing. Someone said you could go back down to a lower weight and instead of doing 5x5, do something like 3 x * just to continue stimulating your muscles and getting them strong enough for heavier weights. Good luck! Progress is progress, whether every week, or every month. You are stronger than you were yesterday!
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I plateaued on OHP and DL really fast.
    (DL because of specific medical-related leg issues, so not too relevant.)

Plateauing on OHP, bench and rows is apparently REALLY common for women, particularly OHP. They're not big muscles, and they sometimes need to be deloaded.

I found that getting a really good sports massage helped get through a few little plateaus.
    When that stopped working, I got a trainer. I wasn't ready to stop lifting, but I *was* ready to stop just following the app :tongue:
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »

I'm two months into lifting with the 5x5 app.

Here are my weights:
    OHP: 45lbs (just the bar)- have started with this weight and never been able to go heavier
    Squat: 95lbs
    Deadlift: 100lbs
    BenchPress: 55lbs (just barely more than the bar)
    Barbell Rows: 65lbs

I have been able to add to my lifts but not much. I'm feeling discouraged because I don't feel like I'm making progress though I keep trying to remind myself that 2 months just probably isn't a fair enough time to judge anything. I just feel shaky and weak and unstable with nearly every lift. And while I've been practicing good form at home, it all seems to go out the window when I work with any substantial weight. If I deload on some of my lifts to work on my form, then I don't feel like the weights are heavy enough to give me any sort of work out. Again, just discouraged.

I'm a little confused by the bolded.

If it's a matter of being out of your comfort zone as the weights get heavier, I'd say suck it up and continue. If it's truly a matter of the weights being too heavy, I'd say to back down the weight. But if you're deloading and now it feels like you're not even working, I think the issue is the former of the two.