New (again) to the gym

I fell off of the healthy bandwagon around 8 years ago and gained so much weight (around 75-80 lbs.), I felt it was impossible to get back on track. I've always had weight issues due to depression, anxiety, and not always knowing how to deal with life in the best of ways. Mounting stress at work and some life changes, something clicked and I've been consistently going to the gym since 7/5. I know it's still early, but I'm motivated with no plans to give up. :smile:

I am seeking advice on the best plan for someone that is morbidly obese. I am 5'4" and 255 lbs. I have lost around 12 pounds in a fairly short period, but I want to do this the right way, even if it takes me a long time to get healthy again.

One of my biggest issue is right knee pain (but I am continuing to push forward). I tried the elliptical my first day at the gym and almost died. :) Right now, I'm using the treadmill at 2.7 mph for around 30 minutes, using some of the weight machines, and finishing on the bike for about 3 miles. I just want to make sure if I'm going that I'm doing it properly. Does anyone have any advice on a gym routine for someone that is severely out of shape and obese? Thank you!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    What you are doing sounds fine. Make sure when you do weight machines that you work your whole body evenly (push-pull, front-back, etc.) Leave a little in the tank, you don't need to go full out at the beginning. Find exercises you like and can stick to.
  • JanolaBarbara
    JanolaBarbara Posts: 322 Member
    Just wanted to congratulate you on hitting the gym again! Definitely take it easy on your knee. Don't do anything that hurts. I have a bad left knee (minor arthritis, torn meniscus, quads pull patella out of place) and find that I have to kinda hold back on some things, like walking and squats. Just can't do hills like I used to and can't squat full depth. But, I do what I can and try to be safe.

So, take care and be safe! Looks like you're doing great right now. Does your gym have a personal trainer? You could make an appt and ask them for advice on safe moves for you.
  • edlanglais
    edlanglais Posts: 39 Member
    I applaud your ambition! Be careful yo not bid off more than you can chew. Baby steps are fine. You don't want to kill yourself when first getting started.

1. You want to acclimate your body, without putting it into too much shock.
    2. You don't want to burn yourself out by killing your body.

I would give your body confidence and acclimation with the treadmill first, working your way to higher speeds and inclines slowly. Jen work the bike into the mix, and then the elliptical, once you have built some endurance, don't be afraid of the weights.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,169 Member
    Have you consulted a doctor about that pesky right knee? My doc recommended a soft pull-on knee brace to use while on the machines, he gave me one, and that helped.
  • jayashreeravi1
    jayashreeravi1 Posts: 21 Member
    I used to weigh 229 lbs and was morbidly obese 3 yrs ago. Then I lost about 35 lbs of weight. Right now I'm still morbidly obese at 193 lbs for 5'6" but I lost 16 lbs in the past 2 1/2 months. This is what I do, which I felt could work out for you too, what with those concerns regarding your knee.

1. Rowing machine - 16 minutes total - as a beginner, I'm rowing at damper setting 4 for 1 min 15 secs (30 strokes), giving a minute rest, resume and continue until 180 strokes in all. Burns about 60 calories for total of 7 - 8 min. time, is a good HIIT workout and gets up the heartrate in no time. Works 9 major body muscles.

2. Ellipticals - 15 min at speed 3.2 to 3.6. For my weight, burns about 135 calories.

3. Chest press, overhead press, etc - For a total of 18 min, I work on 6 major gym machines focusing on abs, arms, shoulders and the chest.

4. Walk 2.5 miles around the neighbourhood - Low intensity walk at about 2.8 mph, takes 50 - 55 min and burns close to 250 - 300 calories.

5. Planning to incorporate 'battle ropes' HIIT workout soon/sometime.

6. Stair climbing - Planning to incorporate for 5 min ( could be bad for knees though).
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Why only upper body work? You need to balance. Chest press, back fly or row. Shoulder press, lat pulldown. Adding in leg press or squats would be great.