Do you ever wonder?

Options
LeGaCyGiAnT91
LeGaCyGiAnT91 Posts: 405 Member
Do you ever what it would be like to to actually go back in time and see what life was like then? For the people that know me on here, know I am unique, so with that comes different ideas. So, what do you think it would be like to live back in the 60's, where there is virtually no technology like we have to day. I would imagine you would get bad looks walking outside in sweats/ gym clothes, you actually have to put yourself out there physically to get anything done, whether it be to find love, to make friends, to find jobs, etc.

Some interesting things that were invented in the 60's:

The Hand-held Calculator
The ATM
Video Disk
Astroturf
Felt Tip Pen
Artificial Heart
Contact Lenses
The Compact Disk (CD)
The Mouse
The Internet
Lycra® by Du Pont

I am not old by any means, but looking at the generation younger than me, it scares me. There was so much class back then. It seems like most relationships today virtually have no meaning (because of technology).

If you could go back in time, where would you go, and why? Again, this is just my opinion. I am not right, or wrong, just a fun discussion.

Replies

• Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    All I know is my job would be a hell of a lot harder
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    There's some great TV programs that do this - you wouldn't get to experience life outside your home in the same way, but they do a pretty good job of creating similar scenarios.

I'd probably go back to 1600/1700s. As a musician, this is one of my favourite era's to play. I'd want to be upper-class though!
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Do you ever what it would be like to to actually go back in time and see what life was like then? For the people that know me on here, know I am unique, so with that comes different ideas. So, what do you think it would be like to live back in the 60's, where there is virtually no technology like we have to day. I would imagine you would get bad looks walking outside in sweats/ gym clothes, you actually have to put yourself out there physically to get anything done, whether it be to find love, to make friends, to find jobs, etc.

The Hand-held Calculator
    The ATM
    Video Disk
    Astroturf
    Felt Tip Pen
    Artificial Heart
    Contact Lenses
    The Compact Disk (CD)
    The Mouse
    The Internet
    Lycra® by Du Pont

Invented yes but in wide use for many of the items listed? oh hell no. Not until decades later.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I think people today would be mostly ok with everything in the 1960's except the telephone attached to the wall.

Back then aspiring families stretched their budget to acquire a set of encyclopedia books. My folks had World Book, and I'd spend my spare time sitting in a chair and learning stuff. I'd ride my bicycle to the city library and check out books. Just to show you how similar then and now is, I read a book that was hyping the future of supersonic passenger jet travel. What's supersonic passenger jet travel right now? It's the past and the future, but it's not the present.

When I was a kid I could fantasize about space travel with the astronauts and NASA. Kids today fantasize about space travel with Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and all the others trying to make a billion bucks with rocket ships.

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I think maybe late 1800's-early 1900's. There were a lot of newish things going on then (cars, electricity in homes) and it seems like it would have been an exciting time.

Also I have a romanticized vision of the 20's and 30's...you know, like in movies! Gangsters and fancy dresses, lol!

A truly interesting time to go back to would be before recorded history. That would maybe be the best choice, I'm curious about the unknown.

*Edit - I wouldn't want to stay back in time, or live in the past, just visit to see what it was like.
  • grayblackmfp
    grayblackmfp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm fascinated with social history and wondering how ordinary people actually lived in the past. Even across my own lifetime I can see huge changes and that's just my vague memories from the early eighties. I wonder how much more change there will be if I make it another forty years.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think the hardest aspect of going back in time and living there for more than a few hours would not be clothes or technology but social expectations/restrictions for gender/race and medical care.
    I would probably choose the 1800's or the 1980's.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I have a recurring dream that Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House on the Prairie) comes to visit me in the present...the visit changes...sometimes we are on a farm seeing the tractors, augers, planters; sometimes we are exploring modes of transportation such as cars, airplanes and even cruise ships; other times we are marvelling at the ease of daily home life: ovens, clothes washers and dryers, microwaves.
    I have had this dream(s) since I was little and I find that I still wake from them feeling excited and looking forward to our next adventure...
    Wow, I am a dork!
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The chance to go back to the 40s and be in the mafia? Sign me up.

@LittleHearseDriver I made need your services if this pans out.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »

Hmm. Do they accept bad spellers? :smirk:
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options

As long as fat fingers can use a tommy gun I don't think they care.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

The Hand-held Calculator
    The ATM
    Video Disk
    Astroturf
    Felt Tip Pen
    Artificial Heart
    Contact Lenses
    The Compact Disk (CD)
    The Mouse
    The Internet
    Lycra® by Du Pont

I am not old by any means, but looking at the generation younger than me, it scares me. There was so much class back then. It seems like most relationships today virtually have no meaning (because of technology).

If you could go back in time, where would you go, and why? Again, this is just my opinion. I am not right, or wrong, just a fun discussion.

IDK...there was a lot of horrible *kitten* going down in the '60s that wasn't too classy...

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options

As long as fat fingers can use a tommy gun I don't think they care.

:lol:
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that I was supposed to have been born four decades earlier! I've always been Vintage everything.. Homes, decor, clothing, hair, music, etc... ever since I was a little girl.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    Racism, slavery, no modern plumbing/medicine, public execution. I think I'll stay here. Thanks but no thanks.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    Pre-1840's for me. Fur Trade era.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    LVNF04 wrote: »
    Racism, slavery, no modern plumbing/medicine, public execution. I think I'll stay here. Thanks but no thanks.

Unfortunately for some people in the world, there are still countries & places in the world where every single one of these problems exist simultaneously.