Right Goal?

Options
SaraydaB
SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
Hi!

I am currently 190 pounds... 5´6. Started at 204 pounds on april 22... Goal Weight 150

I based that GW on my BMI Range..
BMI Categories:
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
Overweight = 25–29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

Whan to have a "normal fat percentage" Currently 30.7 (Obese) and aiming for a 24.2. It is okay to base my GW on my BMI? Also I don´t remember having 150 pounds ;)

Doing: calorie deficit (1,200) sedentary and incorporating 30 mins cardio with weight 3-4 times X week and clean eating ;)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That's fine. You may find as you reach 150 that you'll want to lose some more.
  • SaraydaB
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    That's fine. You may find as you reach 150 that you'll want to lose some more.

Yes.. I think that too. Thank you
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    For a rough idea, placing your goal weight in the healthy bmi range is an okay place to start. Personally I wouldn't base your final goal weight on BMI, if you're planning to lift weights then you will gain weight in muscle as you lose it in fat so you're BMI will be higher than if you just lost fat alone. Plus, you can't predict what you will look and feel like at a certain BMI because everyone looks different. I'm 5 ft 6 as well and I've been on this forum for a few weeks reading people's goals and there and women our height who look right at 140 lbs (BMI 22.6) but I'm just under 110lbs (BMI 17.7) and look healthy. Really it all depends on your body
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yup! Once you get into the normal BMI range, you'll have a better idea of how much further (if any) you want to go, based on how you look and feel when you get there. :)
  • HunnyBunnyKagome
    HunnyBunnyKagome Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    While the BMI scale isn't the most accurate since it just gives you a height to weight ratio without calculating in other factors, it can give you a good range to aim for.

Everyone has different reasoning for their goal weight. As long as you stay flexible with your goal towards the end, you'll be fine. :smile:
  • SaraydaB
    Options
    NadNight wrote: »
    For a rough idea, placing your goal weight in the healthy bmi range is an okay place to start. Personally I wouldn't base your final goal weight on BMI, if you're planning to lift weights then you will gain weight in muscle as you lose it in fat so you're BMI will be higher than if you just lost fat alone. Plus, you can't predict what you will look and feel like at a certain BMI because everyone looks different. I'm 5 ft 6 as well and I've been on this forum for a few weeks reading people's goals and there and women our height who look right at 140 lbs (BMI 22.6) but I'm just under 110lbs (BMI 17.7) and look healthy. Really it all depends on your body

Hmm I undestand.. Maybe instead of Final Goal Weight I can use that as a motivation not too far away from what I want to achieve. Because I need something to look forward to so.

Thank you so much ;)
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I was skeptical about BMI until I actually made it into the normal range. I found out it's actually pretty reasonable. I'd use it.