Exercise = earned calories?

Options
I've noticed each day when I log my exercise, MyFitnessPal updates and says "You've earned X amount of calories" and it automatically adds the extra calories to my daily diary. If my goal is to lose weight, is it going to negatively impact me if I end up "using" the extra calories I've earned?

Common sense tells me yes- that I should just ignore the calories I've earned and go about my day, but I figured I'd ask!! :)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    MFP has you set to lose without exercise. That is why when you do exercise, it gives you the calories back to eat and fuel your body.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation
  • haleybrnjilovic
    haleybrnjilovic Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses, all! This is good news. I will gladly eat those extra calories! I've mostly been doing a brisk walk/slow jog as my exercise for the past week, so I'm hopeful that the calories burned are fairly accurate.

Thanks again! :)
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my extra exercise calories because I'm really over weight and have a lot to lose. I've lost 14 pounds in 6 weeks so far on 1200 calories and light/moderate daily exercise.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,015 Member
    Options
    Mfp figures out how many calories you will burn each day based on your height, weight and activity level. It then figures out what your deficit should be based on your activity level, not on your exercise and it gives you a goal. The calorie goal mfp gives you already has your deficit built in so if you eat that level and do no exercise you will lose weight. If you do exercise then the amount of calories you will burn in a day is increased so mfp then adds that to your goal. So if mfp thinks you will burn 2000 calories per day and you want to lose 1 pound per week it will subtract 500 from your 2000 and give you a goal of 1500. If you burn 300 calories in exercise and don't eat them then your deficit will be 800. That may be too large of a deficit and it isn't always healthier to have a larger deficit. So mfp adds the 300 calories. Now mfp think you will burn 2300 calories today so it subtracts the 500 deficit and you have a goal of 1800. Your 500 calorie deficit is still the same. Some people will only eat back half of the exercise calories because they may be inaccurate. If you start by eating half the exercise calories and you lose faster than 1 pound per week then you know you can eat more. If you lose slower than 1 pound per week then you would eat less of them.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Not even close - if you actually did the selected pace the entire time?

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html
  • nefudaboss
    nefudaboss Posts: 69 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I had 80 lbs to lose. I didn't eat anything back. It would just taken me 5 years to get slim instead of 2 years. Id say if you weighing your food and everything is accurate then eat back half the calories if your deficit is to low ( worked out to much) buttttt if you like me and you know that you ate more calories then you inputted (food inaccuracies) then dont eat anything back to balance it out