What to eat after a morning run?

Guys I'm so fatigue after my morning run. What can I do or eat ? ... I have a 9 to 5 job so I need to be focused during the days.

Replies

• keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Morning runner here too! Same dynamic. Get in run, shower, eat, off to work.

Do you eat anything before? I eat a banana 30 mins before so no tummy cramps?

How long are you running? If you are running longer than an hour, you should consider eating something during run. Or a sports drink during...

Hopefully, you are eating before you get to work? If not, you should try to get a bowl of oatmeal and maybe a hardboiled egg after you run and before you head out for your job. Both can be prep'ed night before.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Guys I'm so fatigue after my morning run. What can I do or eat ? ... I have a 9 to 5 job so I need to be focused during the days.

EVERYTHING.... :laugh:

If i run fasted i have usual breakfast afterwards- protein enriched cereal. I might have a slightly bigger bowl than if i hadnt run.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Really depends how much you need to replenish.

I generally just do meusli, yoghurt, couple of pieces of fruit, coffee
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I too run fasted, come home get cleaned up, then make a quick to-go breakfast for the car ride to work
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Breakfast?
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    I typically run in the afternoon or evening for this reason. Whenever I run earlier I tend to be fatigued for the rest of the day. Other people describe being energized afterwards while I'm like, I need a nap.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Are you actually running fasted or after breakfast?

You might want to look at what youre eating the night before, as that's whats fueling you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Your diary is closed so it's hard to make specific recommendations.

Generally I run fasted in the morning and then just have a regular breakfast afterward (oatmeal, banana & yogurt most days; bacon, eggs & toast others depending on my mood)

A couple of questions though.....how long have you been running? If you're fairly new to it it's not unusual to feel fatigued after a run, as your body adapts it is less noticeable (in fact, I feel cranky on days that i don't do something before breakfast) How big is your caloric deficit? Exercise takes fuel....
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I eat a high fiber high protein breakfast afterward. I run and work out fasted, then fix breakfast (high fiber cereal, almond milk, protein shake). The added fiber helps me get a run on the daily macro. Fiber is one of the macros a lot of people forget about. Unless you eat a lot of fruit or high fiber whole grains you probably aren't getting enough. I also make, and take with me, a multigrain light muffin/egg/turkey sausage/light cheese sandwich for a mid-morning snack. Again, high fiber, high protein. It's the only way I keep up on my fiber and protein macros for the day.

So my suggestion is protein and fiber. Carbs are ok as well for energy just make sure you're not eating too many processed carbs (ie: little or no fiber in them).