Slow and steady wins the race

Options
First post alert!

Call me old fashioned but I'm a bit alarmed by how little some people on here are actually eating. This is how I'm losing weight,

I am not on the 5:2 diet.
I am eating around 1500 a day.
I am not taking raspberry ketones or fat metabolisers.
I am swimming twice a week and walking every day.
I've been doing this for a month.
I've lost 9lbs.

So I'm losing weight. Ok I'm not losing 3lb a week like some people, but I'm eating good nutritious food and seeing solid, slow benefits.

However can you guys keep weight off long-term when you eat so little or so sporadically?

Replies

• emmacook
    emmacook Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do not get the 5:2 diet at all. In fact, I don't get diets in general. Just eat healthily, with the added treat here and there and move more. Its taken me 7 months to lose 13lb, which im more than happy with.

Keep up the good work Gem, you're doing brilliantly!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady is great, but if people find success with another method (barring an eating disorder of course) then good for them. Some people will keep it off, and some people won't. Same is true for the slow and steady group. I saw a study at some point that found it didn't matter the method of losing weight, the failure rate in regaining the weight was the same (no, I don't remember which study and can't cite it so can't tell you if it was a good study or not).

I've averaged losing only about .7 lbs. per week over the last 2+ years. It was faster at first, and slow as molasses now. That's OK, as long as I continue making progress. In the first year, I lost 50 lbs. In the second year, 30. I'm hoping to lose 20 in the third year, but it's pretty darn slow going at this point. My current NET calorie target is 1240, to lose 1 lb. per week. I eat back ALL my exercise calories, and usually end up netting about 1300 to 1350 per day because I frequently go over. I'm far from starving.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Not everyone loses fast for unhealthy reasons.

I am 5'2
    CW 216
    SW 236.6
    GW 135

I eat around 1500 calories a day. I walk 6 days out of the week and swim when I can. I lose around 2-3 pounds per week (except the first week I lost 8) and I am not starving, doing the 5:2 diet or feeling unhealthy or weak. Not everyone has to lose slow to be doing it right. That being said, I understand where you are coming from.