No more running

Options
AliNouveau
AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
I posted awhile ago about heel pain and thanks for all the replies.

I saw my Physio guy today and he's said no more running for "awhile". I did asked if I can skate and he said that's ok for now but if there's no improvement with icing, stretching and whatnot then I'll have to take a break from that too. Seems my feet pronate, oddly the not sore one pronates more, which causes me to have a cruddy gait when I run. Coupled with years of what I thought was tendonitis but was apparently shin splints I just have messed up feet and ankles.

That all being said, since I hate sitting still I guess it's the bike for me? Any suggestions for something that will make me sweat but be very low impact?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Well, there's always swimming & biking (and when you get back to running you're ready to sign up for a triathlon!) you could also consider rowing, great full body workout, zero impact.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I primarily cycle...and I get my sweat on for sure. I like to swim too, but it's not very available to me without having to go out of my way so it's an every once in awhile thing. With my bike, I can just get up in the AM and walk out my front door and ride.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Rowing is a great suggestion. The ergs that you row on record all kinds of different things when you row, which makes it easy to mark your progress and to challenge yourself, which keeps it interesting. Plus, it works a lot of major muscle groups.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    I posted awhile ago about heel pain and thanks for all the replies.

I saw my Physio guy today and he's said no more running for "awhile". I did asked if I can skate and he said that's ok for now but if there's no improvement with icing, stretching and whatnot then I'll have to take a break from that too. Seems my feet pronate, oddly the not sore one pronates more, which causes me to have a cruddy gait when I run. Coupled with years of what I thought was tendonitis but was apparently shin splints I just have messed up feet and ankles.

That all being said, since I hate sitting still I guess it's the bike for me? Any suggestions for something that will make me sweat but be very low impact?

Find a cycling group. Better yet, find a group in hill territory.. You'll get plenty of cardio.
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    Thanks I could learn to swim. I've a slight phobia about jumping into water so I never really learned to swim
    Thanks I might find a rowing machine
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Did he give you any advice on how to correct your problems (not just treat the symptoms)? Many times the injury is caused by weakness or imbalance in other areas (hips, core, etc).
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    hula hooping!
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Did he give you any advice on how to correct your problems (not just treat the symptoms)? Many times the injury is caused by weakness or imbalance in other areas (hips, core, etc).

he said I compensate for this weakness with my hips and core. haha
    I grew up very athletic and as he said I learned to accept the pain and deal with it later...well now is the later apparently
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Hope you get better. I'm having back problems myself, and I am scheduled to see a doctor next week, and most likely I will end with the physical therapist as well. I'm hoping for the best, but always prepared for the worst. Meanwhile I've been trying the elliptical, but it's not the same as running :'( Good luck to you...
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    Hope you get better. I'm having back problems myself, and I am scheduled to see a doctor next week, and most likely I will end with the physical therapist as well. I'm hoping for the best, but always prepared for the worst. Meanwhile I've been trying the elliptical, but it's not the same as running :'( Good luck to you...

Awww @ABabilonia hope you are ok. I've had back issues in the past too. They aren't fun look after yourself
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Lift lift lift lift...it's way more effective than doing cardio
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    The Gazelle Edge glider gets a lot of ribbing. I basically use mine for two reasons:

1) I own it. Got it for free as a length of service gift from my old job.
    2) Thanks to refluxed veins and lymphedema, one of my legs is very prone to infection and slow to heal if I break the skin. One night (a night that lives on in my memory as "That time my treadmill tried to kill me") my treadmill spontaneously accelerated from 3.2mph to 5.3. I fell off and ground my 'lucky' leg into the carpet. Two courses of oral antibiotics and I've still got a scar. The glider is low impact and has no motor.
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    The Gazelle Edge glider gets a lot of ribbing. I basically use mine for two reasons:

1) I own it. Got it for free as a length of service gift from my old job.
    2) Thanks to refluxed veins and lymphedema, one of my legs is very prone to infection and slow to heal if I break the skin. One night (a night that lives on in my memory as "That time my treadmill tried to kill me") my treadmill spontaneously accelerated from 3.2mph to 5.3. I fell off and ground my 'lucky' leg into the carpet. Two courses of oral antibiotics and I've still got a scar. The glider is low impact and has no motor.

I'm I've fallen off a treadmill stepping on it not realizing it was on.
    Thanks for the suggestion
  • AliNouveau
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »

I kinda like cardio though. :(
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I grew up very athletic and as he said I learned to accept the pain and deal with it later...well now is the later apparently

However, it sounds as if this should be rectifiable. Shin splints are fixable, as is overpronation. I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't a route to resolution.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Depends what you want to achieve.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options

I kinda like cardio though. :(

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I like to run :(
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options

However, it sounds as if this should be rectifiable. Shin splints are fixable, as is overpronation. I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't a route to resolution.

I thought the same. The amount of times over the years the doctor has told me to stop running because of various injuries, that just seems to be their idea of fixing it. All my injuries have been fixable, even when I suffered with a broken pelvis(due to an accident, not running related I should add!), with time I was back out there running.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I am just getting back to running after a few months off and rehab. PT has allowed me to start running again but not much yet. I did mostly cycling and strength with yoga mixed in. I tried swimming but it aggravates my knee so had to give it up.
  • AliNouveau
    Options

We wil be working to rectify it. The thing is while I like running because it's a quick calorie burn I and more than willing to give it up if it starts affecting my skating which sadly I realized last night it is. I can live without running I can't live without skating. We'll start work on my other injuries after we get this one better. :smile: