Measuring my meals.

Options
faizafabz2017
faizafabz2017 Posts: 1 Member
Is there any way to measure my meals in grams rather than ounces, ozs and the other confusing options in mfp. Plus if i cook say a pot of rice or lasagna , how do i determine the serving size cause i don't understand the dividing into portions for the week stuff. ( probably having it once a week). Thanks

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    The easiest way in the long run (although it takes time to set up) is to make your own entries in My Foods without sharing with the database. That lets you customize the name and use the units that you wish.

As for serving size, weigh your pan before you start and then weigh the pan + cooked recipe and subtract out the weight of the pan. This gives you the weight of the recipe. You can then use the total cooked recipe weight as the number of servings. That way, you can get however much you want each time and just enter the weight.
  • cmanitowabi
    cmanitowabi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Interested , weighing portions gets me too
  • LoraineGB
    LoraineGB Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Buy a weighing scale that you can tare back to zero after you put your plate in and each item you put on your plate, so easy. Mine also weighs in grams or oz. Amazon for around $15-20
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    for determining serving size from a pot

I weigh the pot pre and the completed meal after (I now keep a running log of what my different dishes weigh empty) - then I set the number of servings to 10g amounts - so I can easily customize how much I eat on a given day

i.e. if my overall weight was 400g - then I divide by 10 and get 40 servings

so if I weigh out a portion that is 50g, I log 5 servings
  • Juslilly
    Juslilly Posts: 40 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hi. Does anyone know if the weight of the food on the mfp database ( especially meats, fish, even vegetables) applies to cooked weight or raw weight. I can't seem to get a straight answer on this. Tried emailing me, but no response.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    typically raw but you can always look online at the USDA database if you want to verify
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I bought a scale at walmart for $10 that measures both grams and ounces