Protein powder questions

Options
I have some questions. Should I be using protein powder before or after a workout?
I've had some suggestions to try protein powder to help with recovery while working out and losing weight. Has anyone found increasing protein to help their weight loss results over a long period of time?
Apparently I'm not taking in nearly enough. I'm 5'2 and 143 lbs.

Replies

• evelynyjohansen
    evelynyjohansen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have added protein powder to my diet as an after workout recovery shake. It really helped me lose the weight I wanted to get rid of.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My sister says she makes protein pudding because she doesn't like the shakes. I'm willing it give it a shot. I've always been Leary about taking any type of supplement shake.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    How much protein do you eat, and how much are you aiming to eat? I get about 150g a day, but use very little powder as most of mine is from food.

Protein shakes themselves aren't going to help or hinder weight loss - it's your calories that matter. More protein might make you feel more satiated and therefore less likely to overeat.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like Quest and PEScience. I sometimes mix them half with Vitacost Whole food shake for the vitamins.
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    How much protein do you eat, and how much are you aiming to eat? I get about 150g a day, but use very little powder as most of mine is from food.

Protein shakes themselves aren't going to help or hinder weight loss - it's your calories that matter. More protein might make you feel more satiated and therefore less likely to overeat.
    Right now 70 grams of protein is what comes in normally. I do want to lose fat and build muscle. I know both do not happen at the same time.
    I'm thinking maybe pushing to 100 grams a day and go from there.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Can't say. What is total weight & BF %. From there .8 to 1 gram protein per lb of Lean Body Mass. .35 to .4 grams of fat per lb of Body Weight. The rest is your preference. Easy.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

This^

Btw, it mixes well with Greek yogurt and I have some PB flavored that I mix with oatmeal.
  • Jdismybug1
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Can't say. What is total weight & BF %. From there .8 to 1 gram protein per lb of Lean Body Mass. .35 to .4 grams of fat per lb of Body Weight. The rest is your preference. Easy.

I'm going to have to find out my body fat percentage. I've never had an actual measurement done before.