weighing more at night?

Options
tkc616
tkc616 Posts: 18 Member
Every time I weigh myself at night it's at least 3-5 pounds more than in the morning? Is this normal lol?

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I bet if you didn't eat or drink anything for 8-10 hours during the day before you weighed at night you'd likely weigh pretty close to what you weigh in the morning
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    tkc616 wrote: »
    Every time I weigh myself at night it's at least 3-5 pounds more than in the morning? Is this normal lol?

Yes, I just checked. I am 3 lbs heavier than I was this morning. Makes sense after eating all day.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Yep. I always weigh more at night too.
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yep. I always weight from 2-4 pounds more at night. A lor of people recommend to weight in the morning after you go to the bathroom so you can have a more accurate idea
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    2-5% of BW swing isn't unusual.

For Me(235-240 lb male) that can be as much as 10 pounds in a 48 hour period. If I eat more carbs/sodium poof balloon. If I go back to lower carb/sodium/higher protein/fat... whoosh....

The woosh is usually slower than the poof.... for me.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Of course. You've been eating, drinking, using the restroom, etc. Why would you think it would be the same as the morning? I don't see the point in weighing more than once a day, especially if you can't handle the normal body fluctuations that happen.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    The woosh is usually slower than the poof.... for me.

Me too.
  • kathyb2012
    kathyb2012 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself right away in the morning Nude, then you have the most accurate weight.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Yes.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Your exact weight and weight fluctuations at any given time have more to do with hydration than anything else. If you drink 8 cups of water every day, that's 4 lbs of water moving through you. I've seen the statistic that you sweat off a pint of water over night - that's a pound of water. Then you empty your bladder, and we're looking at almost 2 lbs of water weight gone just from sleeping for the night. First thing in the morning you are generally your most dehydrated, and therefore the lightest.
  • SiouxsieQue
    SiouxsieQue Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    Your exact weight and weight fluctuations at any given time have more to do with hydration than anything else. If you drink 8 cups of water every day, that's 4 lbs of water moving through you. I've seen the statistic that you sweat off a pint of water over night - that's a pound of water. Then you empty your bladder, and we're looking at almost 2 lbs of water weight gone just from sleeping for the night. First thing in the morning you are generally your most dehydrated, and therefore the lightest.

Definitely a lot of water weight by the end of the day.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options

I only weigh in the mornings and same time usually if I can each week. At the end of the day you are weighing what you've consumed all day.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Of course. Why wouldn't it be? At a minimum, you have the weight of the food you consumed over the course of the day. Additionally you have water weight from myriad reasons.

I consistently weight 2 lbs more if I weigh myself before bed, than I do the following morning after using the bathroom, etc. Understanding the normal weight fluctuations of our body is very important for long term success.
  • That_Country_Girl82
    That_Country_Girl82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You are suppose to weigh in mornings to be more accurate . If you go to a Dr in afternoon they normally take off a couple of pounds for it being later in afternoon. I weigh in morning with very little clothing on.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    You are suppose to weigh in mornings to be more accurate . If you go to a Dr in afternoon they normally take off a couple of pounds for it being later in afternoon. I weigh in morning with very little clothing on.

That's news to me - as stated in previous thread I work in medical clinic and we frequently weigh people and I write down what the scale says ( rounding down to nearest kg) regardless of what time of day I do it.

However, yes of course our weight fluctuates throughout the day - unlike many people, I do weigh at night, every Sunday evening in my case. That is accurately what I weigh at that time.
    There is no time we are 'supposed to weigh' - as long as one does a consistent routine that is all that matters.

Actually wouldn't even matter if routine was not consistent as long as you accepted natural fluctuations.

• ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    After watching this video a few years ago I stopped worrying about fluctuations. It might be interesting to know your weight changes during the course of a day, but it's not very helpful for measuring your long term progress: Just stick to one time of day to weigh and then you won't have to worry about extra variables that just introduce noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYMNPP2ZR1U
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I've read that on average, most people usually weigh about 2 pounds more at night than they do in the morning. This is pretty accurate for me (and it seems accurate for most people here). I weigh myself first thing in the morning after using the toilet.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I can be up to 4lbs heavier at night