Dr. Goes against MFP

Options
2»

Replies

• golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Blood work is normal except HDL and was told to add additional fish oil pill. Down 2 lbs for the week. Still eating gross 1500 and net 800-1000. Asked should I be concerned about BMR or TDEE? His response was no. Using south beach phase 1 for another week.

I am not trying to start an argument, but trying to help those that are not moving and have tried many options. To keep trying or visit doctor. I am not bonking at all. I do take multi vitamin, b12, fish oil, vitamin d.

I will not change from this until my personal medical official advises.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I realize this advice will be different of MFP followers. I am going to see if his method works

5' 9" male 35. 250lbs

So, I scheduled a meeting with the doctor. My complaint I can't lose weight. His advice: south beach diet and calories of 1500. Asked about continuing p90x/insanity/running hybrid. I have completed rounds of both before. Toughmudders, weight lifting, etc. working out is not the problem.

I asked the following:
    BMR concerns, said nope
    Dairy: ok
    TDEE: nope
    Net vs gross: told me to eat total 1500 based around south beach regardless of activity
    No soda, alcohol, diet soda (already in place).

So, The main difference will be breads, pasta,

I also am having blood work testing done.

Is it possible your Dr. interpreted your statement as that you want to lose weight no matter what kind of weight, fat or muscle? Also that he knows this level of cals and food restriction is sure to result in SOME weight loss and will make him absolutely "right" no matter what? He sure gave you a surefire way to accomplish the goal of "weight loss" whether it will be the lasting kind or the muscle sparing kind or the low energy kind might not be of concern to him if it did not seem like a concern to you.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I realize this advice will be different of MFP followers. I am going to see if his method works

5' 9" male 35. 250lbs

So, I scheduled a meeting with the doctor. My complaint I can't lose weight. His advice: south beach diet and calories of 1500. Asked about continuing p90x/insanity/running hybrid. I have completed rounds of both before. Toughmudders, weight lifting, etc. working out is not the problem.

I asked the following:
    BMR concerns, said nope
    Dairy: ok
    TDEE: nope
    Net vs gross: told me to eat total 1500 based around south beach regardless of activity
    No soda, alcohol, diet soda (already in place).

So, The main difference will be breads, pasta,

I also am having blood work testing done.

I guess I am your MFP twin mate - 5'9.5 male starting official MFP weight was 257 (270 was highers)

current weight is 182.5 lbs

my loss was done with little to no cardio, heavy lifting and consuming around 2300-2400 calories a day with a refeed day once a week of 4000 calories (low fat high carb moderate protein refeed) I always kept my protein at at least 200g.

you could do 1500 and cardio and shred the fat but if you look at my profile pics you will see I have put quite a bit of muscle on during the transformation - plus I just effing hate cardio

and contrary to whatever the above person said I did have quite a few nutritional science classes throughout my medical school career that being said I suppose I did do a lot of research on my own

Listen to this cat.