How necessary is strength training?

Options
So, I've been dieting since the beginning of this year and lost 50 pounds. Still got about 40 more to go, but I'm stoked with the results already. I'm still overweight, but not like I used to be. I have done zero strength training though. My only exercise is skateboarding about an hour to two hours about 5 times a week. I enjoy doing it and that's why I've stuck with it. Strength training on the other hand bores me to death and I can't keep the routine of dragging myself to do it. I was kind of hoping that down the line that I would be more down to do it, but I still have no inkling to get into it at all. Is there anyone with success stories that didn't incorporate strength training? I'm not naive and think that I'll just turn out looking lean without it, but if I'm not going to look terrible then that would be nice news.

Replies

• curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    nope not at all.

Later in life there will always be someone around to help you out of bed and open those most stubborn pickle jars.

You are on a program to lose weight and with that weight comes most likely a good deal of the lean mass you currently posess so unless you do something to combat this you will be on a lower calorie diet plan forever than someone who either never had a weight issue or someone who lost weight with some form of muscle retaining strength exercise. If this is acceptable to you then by all means go for it you can still be successful without it however your chances of success with it are probably higher long term.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary at all if you don't enjoy it and don't mind having a bit of extra leftover fat at goal weight. Have you tried bodyweight strength training? TRX? Any other kinds? If you're not too keen on any form of strength training no problem. Just do what you would stick with.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    nope not at all.

Later in life there will always be someone around to help you out of bed and open those most stubborn pickle jars.

You are on a program to lose weight and with that weight comes most likely a good deal of the lean mass you currently posess so unless you do something to combat this you will be on a lower calorie diet plan forever than someone who either never had a weight issue or someone who lost weight with some form of muscle retaining strength exercise. If this is acceptable to you then by all means go for it you can still be successful without it however your chances of success with it are probably higher long term.

That effect is not as pronounced as people imagine. It takes years and years of training to achieve enough muscle mass to make a noticeable difference in calories and most of it is often the product of weighing more. Also keep in mind that he does skateboarding (cardio) which is more than enough to make up for any calories lost by not gaining/preserving mass, and may even surpass the calories for those who strength train but hate cardio. Most people do strength training because they want a certain look, they enjoy it (or the aftermath of it), they want to augment their performance in another sport, or they are concerned about their bone/muscle mass. It's basically up to the person.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion to strength train specifically to improve skateboarding. You already have something you love you do; Just spend 30 minutes 3 times a week to improve on it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I saw someone say here, and it's true... "Strength training isn't necessary for weight loss, But it's essential"

After pondering that I've come to agree.

Here's the short version of my story for emphasis. Over the last 10 years I've maintained at about 250 and about a 39 inch Abdominal Circumference.. One of those healthy, active obese unicorns. My profile pic is about 2 years old and I'm 248ish there. Last spring, I aggravated my knee... making me much less active.. I got up to about 265... At which point I decided... time to drop some weight(while waiting for a diagnosis)... I got down to about 240... Had my body comp/measurements done and my AC had gone up to 43 inches. So.. I lost 25/15 lbs and gained body fat. I've since been cleared for activity and am in the 235 range(still targeting 225) and am back to a 38 inch AC.

Bottom Line, activity/strength training will improve your body composition. Do what you can, don't get injured. Have fun. IF Barbells aren't your thing. Try body weight or Dumbells, or Kettlebells. If skateboarding is your thing, body weight/gymnastics/dance may be a natural strength progression.
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    First, good job. I recall someone saying if you don't think loosing 50 pound isn't an accomplishment, carry a suitcase around that weighs 50 pounds! I'm sure you feel the difference. Strength training isn't necessarily for builiding "lots" of muscle, but you obviously need your muscles active to assist in burning calories and good metabolism. I do a lot of Leslie Sansone workouts (walking--I have arthritis in both knees) and she suggests 2x per week in addition to the cadio. That's it! And you don't need to "pump iron" to get the desired results. My two cents worth!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Necessary? No. Wise? Yes. I would agree with Stanmann571, it's essential.

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Off the main topic but I wanted to say that skateboarding is excellent exercise! My son lost 40 pounds when he and his friends started going daily,I was amazed
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There are a plethora of reasons to incorporate resistance training into your plan; 1. easier to maintain muscle than increase it later on when you aren't happy with your physique (fat loss > weight loss), 2. supports a strong body which prevents injury, 3. it will improve your performance in your sport, 4. supports metabolism and immune system, etc...

I will note, I know a lot of people who are upset they didn't start resistance training sooner. I don't know a single person who wishes they never did any resistance training.
  • evergreenlake
    evergreenlake Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Many people don't do any form of strength training, but it definitely is good for you and can help with your skateboarding and health.
    Maybe try out some other types like yoga, Pilates, there are plenty of workout videos that focus on strength with no weights, just your body weight.
    And congrats on losing 50lbs so far! That takes a lot of work and dedication!
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    You will look more like a smaller version of what you look like now.
    If you find that acceptable you don't have to lift.
    Lifting or some type of resistance work is encouraged to help with bone and muscle conservation.
    There are no rules, so if your skateboarding satisfies you keep at it.

You never know you may, down the line, explore a programme that will enhance your boarding.

Personally I lift, but there again I am small old and don't want to have to shout 'help I've fallen and can't get up'.

Cheers, h.

This made me laugh. A relative asked why I was losing weight and this is what I told them.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, finish losing the weight you want to lose and then shift your focus from weight loss to body weight strength training to keep things fresh (and so you don't run into conflicting goals and lose focus). Once you're out of weight loss mode, it's nice to have something to keep you active to help you fall back into old bad habits.

One of the real benefits of waiting to begin your strength training is that it's much more productive to wait until you're a reasonable weight before attempting push ups or sit ups, etc. Not only will you have an easier time of the exercise, but the results will be more immediately apparent (both in appearance and in actual strength).

Also, core/balance training will help with your skateboarding immensely. I know that core training easily added 35-40 yards on my drives when I was an avid golfer.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Necessary? No
    Beneficial? Absolutely

It really just comes down to what your goals are.