Snack ideas for on the go

Options
mskimee
mskimee Posts: 228 Member
Can anyone recommend good snack ideas that are low in calorie and easy to eat while driving etc? Can't be anything that need to be heated or kept refrigerated as they will be sat in the car all day. I measure out fruit/nuts etc into snack baggies, but would love a few different ideas to mix it up from time to time! I'm worried about crackers etc going stale in baggies, but if they are in sealed bags they should be ok, right?

Replies

• maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Crackers should be fine in a sealed container, especially if it's just over the course of the day. Cereal bars (check cals first though, some of them can be more than you think!), fresh fruit/veg will last at least a day out of the fridge, and you could dip in some nut butter if you have the cals for it.
  • Kida_Johnson
    Kida_Johnson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Jerky
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Can you keep a mini cooler or even an insulated lunch bag in the car? That would open up a lot of choices.
    If not, my go to's are protein bars, granola bars, or nuts
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Carrots.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You could bring protein powder (already measured out), if that's your thing, and a bottle of water. It might not be the best thing if the water isn't cold, but should do the trick. You'd still need something to shake it in to avoid lumps, but that should hopefully not be a problem.

My go-to are rawbars (with dates for sweetness and nuts a'plenty). I always keep at least one in my bag when I'm out and about, just to starve off the hunger if it hits suddenly - that way I can make better food choices. I also like that they are easy to log, as I can just scan the barcode.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Jerky

What's jerky?
    jayemes wrote: »
    Can you keep a mini cooler or even an insulated lunch bag in the car? That would open up a lot of choices.
    If not, my go to's are protein bars, granola bars, or nuts

Unfortunately no, it's a work vehicle and they are not allowed anything like this. Sucks cos it would solve a lot of issues. The insy=ualted bag I have only stays cool for an hour or so and then everything goes warm.

The problem is nuts/protein bars etc are so high in calories and with only 1200 to play with (i'm 5ft tall and weigh 120 with 5lb left to lose. At a rate of half a lb a day thats what MFP gave me) I can't afford to many high calorie snacks as I'm sat down a lot of the day, but get sooooooo hungry sometimes!! I tried popcorn, etc and it all just feels so same old same old after a while.
  • Jabbarwocky
    Jabbarwocky Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a blue ice packet in the insulated bag to make it last a bit longer? That way you can have some chilled snacks, you'll just want to eat them first. I find that Baby Bell Light cheese makes a great snack. Beef sticks are good too but watch out for the sodium and double check the calories. Jerky is dried meat that has been seasoned and can be a tasty source of protein although they are even more sodium heavy than the beef sticks.