Stay at home mom who eats junk! What do all my stay at home moms/wives eat at home?

Options
2»

Replies

• vickibolly29
    vickibolly29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine was advised by her doctor to make a plate of cut sandwiches and keep them wrapped and in the fridge. This way she could limit the amount she ate and also cut down on time it takes to prepare food as babies/chores can be all consuming time wise. What I would take from that 20 some thing year old advice is to meal prep and have healthy snacks in healthy proportions ready to hand. Have a bowl of fruit on the counter. Have chopped veggies and a low calorie dip in the fridge. Have air popped popcorn available. Boiled eggs. Frozen grapes. Etc. Get rid of the junk food and figure out your triggers... Is it boredom? Cravings? Also think... Is it healthy enough to share with my baby? If it's not, best to not have it in the house.
    Good luck! I'm sure that now you're aware there is a problem, you'll make healthier choices.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I find that mini bell peppers + hummus are a satisfyingly crunchy swap for chips!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    I find that mini bell peppers + hummus are a satisfyingly crunchy swap for chips!

I love hummus, too, but at a 100 calories for a measly 30 gr (2 tbls), it can quickly add up to more than a serving of chips. :)
  • bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom as well , I didn't realize how much of the leftover food from my kids I was eating .. bites of pizza here , spoonfuls of macaroni there ..leftover bowls of goldfish etc.. all processed carb loaded foods ;/ I've since then bought healthier options for my kids although one is picky :( rice cakes , fig bars , more fruit , carrots , yogurts , applesauce etc. Stuff I'm not as interested in eating . Sure , I still cook then pizza and macaroni but I got used to putting leftovers into Tupperware right away to save for them the next day . I also keep only healthy food for my husband and I so I'm not tempted .. lots of whole grains , beans , fruit and veg , eggs , string cheese , cottage cheese , oatmeal. Stuff that keeps us full for longer , more guaranteed not to snack on other things
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I am not a stay-at-home mom but I do work from home once a week and it's terrible because all I want to do it eat!! So, I can definitely sympathize with you. There is something about being home alone (or with small kids) that makes me bored and hungry. I agree w/ the others about keeping junk food out of the house. One that that's been good for me is air-popped popcorn. When I want something salty to crunch on out of boredom, it's my go-to and it saves me from wanting chips.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I do have food in the house that my kids eat that I do not and I think that's ok. I plan out all of my food. That is the only way I can keep it under control. I also plan for treat meals. I also save calories for wine if I think I will want it at the end of the night. Good luck!