• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,294 Member
    george froman grill
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    m073qhgbkl7b.jpg
  • bray149
    bray149 Posts: 118 Member
    Grilling and crock pot are your best bet for convenience. Grilling only takes a few minutes. Good Crock-Pot with a timer can cook while you sleep.
  • monica859mfp
    monica859mfp Posts: 2 Member
    My mom's smoker.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Wrap in foil (or greaseproof paper) with herbs, spices, flavourings, then roast until just cooked. One of my favourites is a little chilli powder with lemon juice and sliced mixed peppers (they add moisture), by wrapping in foil it kind of steams as it bakes meaning it doesn't dry out as much especially if you add something like peppers, onions, courgettes or anything with a high water content.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Oh and if I'm (stir) frying I don't use oil, I've got one of those pans that doesn't need it even for eggs. So I'll slice the chicken in thin strips, season (I have a huge collection of herbs, spices and spice/herb mixes), fry quickly at a high heat and add loads of veggies. Or I'll cut in to chunks, season and make shish kebabs (with lots of veggies) to put under the grill. I eat a lot of chicken and it really doesn't have to be boring, although I will say that thigh meat is worth the few extra calories for more flavour.
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    Method one:
    Steaming
    Put to plate and put any spices that you want. Salt, garlic, ginger are the basic.
    Steam for 7 min depending on the size

Method two:
    Pan fry
    What you will need. A good stainless steel pan with lid. Yup, stainless steel not the non stick cook ware. Matter of fact, avoid non stick cookware with this method if you don't want to break it.
    Heat up the pan on mid high heat. Wait till the pan is super hot. You can do water droplet testing on it to test the hotness, if the droplet roll around instead of evaporating right away then it was golden.
    Turn the heat to mid. Put the breast on the pan without oil. Press it down lightly to get rid of any trap air between pot n meat.
    After about 2 min, the fat from the meat should have melted on the surface of the meat and make it effortless to flip over. If it's sticked on the pan then cook it longer. Don't try to force it off.
    Another 2 min after u flipped it. Turn off the heat and put lid on. Let the residual heat from the pan do the rest. After 15-20 min, you should have a crazy tender breast.
  • randilyn2013
    randilyn2013 Posts: 40 Member
    If you're a spontaneous cook look into a programmable pressure cooker or instant pot. I'm keto so I can't do the pasta or rice meals but raw chicken is shreddable in about 15 minutes and you can add pasta and cook for 4 more minutes and have an entire meal. Frozen chicken takes about 35 minutes. They're great for a lot of other stuff too, just cooked spaghetti squash in 15 minutes the other day.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I actually do microwave chicken - I found these ready to go meals at the store (but you can also buy Ziploc steamer bags) - throw some chicken in, some vegetables (right now I'm using broccoli) and then some compressed butter (like scampi or black pepper flavored) - cook for about 6 min
  • kelly_stevens81
    kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
    Use cooking spray, its such a small amount of oil it doesn't even count calorie wise.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Use cooking spray, its such a small amount of oil it doesn't even count calorie wise.

depends on how much spray you use - the zero calorie spray that the can claims as a serving size is a 1/2 second spray... just saying.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    I'm not a fan of aerosol food in general, but I have been looking into oil spritzers and sprayers. I haven't found one I'm satisfied with yet. Open to suggestions as long as they're food safe.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    You'll struggle to get a Maillard reaction on chicken without oil. If you really want to go fat free, I'd steam it and then add sauces for flavour.
  • thewindandthework
    You'll struggle to get a Maillard reaction on chicken without oil.
    Well... yeah. That's why the thread. I'm pretty sure I mentioned that concern somewhere on the first page.

I've been very happy with the grill pan I got, though, my chicken this week is succulent and tender and basically perfect. I found a nice cast iron one for a good price and was unhappy with the electric Forman-type grills I found in town.
  • thewindandthework
    Reporting in, because I poached some skinless boneless chicken breasts yesterday to great success.

I laid the chicken in the bottom of my pot, added plenty of salt, spices, and herbs, and added enough water to cover the chicken by an inch. Brought the whole thing to a boil, then covered and reduced heat to low. Simmered thus for maybe 8 or 9 minutes, tested with a thermometer, was happy, and pulled out the meat to rest.

It was delicious. I shredded it with a couple of forks and stewed it briefly in a sauce of diced chipotles and the adobo they came in, along with some of the poaching liquid. Excellent, and no added fat.

Gonna make for some dang good lunches this week.
  • skybleu329
    skybleu329 Posts: 18 Member
    I use lemon instead of oil and bbq sauce as my topper !!! Tho olive oil has ALOT OF OMEGA 3 in it!!! Which is GOOD for you.
  • treesearcher42
    treesearcher42 Posts: 13 Member
    I too like grilled chicken when I can't BBQ, and will marinate it before grilling it. Or, you could slice it raw, then cook it in a stir fry. That is quick during the week. I use breasts for chicken burgers as well, but use lettuce instead of a bun. I wouldn't use a crock pot for chicken breasts, that is more for less tender cuts of meat.
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    I either pound mine even then grill or I bake without oil and I never have dry chicken breast idk how you guys keep ruining chicken breast in the oven.
  • kevintillack
    kevintillack Posts: 13 Member
    Idk if anyone has said it yet, but a pressure cooker will cook foods fast and heathly. Salsa chicken is perfect for one.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    I cook boneless skinless chicken thighs every week. Just lay them out flat, breast side down, on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with seasoning. Bake at 425 for ten minutes on each side. I never need any oil or spray.