Intermittent fasting

Options
Anyone done this? I'm starting an 8 week program of intermittent fasting 6 days 16:8 and one full day fast on Wednesday. Did you lose a lot of weight? Were you weak?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I've been "doing" 16:8 for about nine months. I have no intention of not eating for a full 24 hours. I'm maintaining, or to be exact, slowly gaining/losing within a good healthy range. I feel strong and energized.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Weight loss on IF will vary from person to person, it's the overall deficit that is important not the Meal timing/frequency. Why are you fasting for a full day? are you increasing your calories on the other days to account for this so you get adequate nutrition?

People use IF to lose, maintain and gain, but calories is the overriding factor.

I do 16:8 at weekends, so I have more calories for drinks and eating at the pub. Basically just means I have brunch instead of breakfast.

• rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes I mostly do 16:8 but working up to a 24 hr soon.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    what is your purpose? you sound a bit skeptical. There is nothing magical about IF. Most people do it because it helps them stay within their deficit. its kind of preference on how to eat.

its not for everyone and its not going to do anything different than just eating throughout the day as long as you consume the right amount of calories for weight loss in total.
  • sophie7591
    sophie7591 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just like to skip breakfast a lot. Nothing special about it nor too rapid weight loss. My other two meals during the day are full of a good number of calories.
  • TanJacked
    TanJacked Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did IF for about a year and a half. I started off 16:8 and eventually got a little crazy and did 4:20 with a 24 hour fast every so often. The hardest part about the 4:20 was fitting enough calories into the 4 hour eating window. The weight came off like crazy and I felt great though. The first week or two was tough for me because my body was adjusting to the new way of eating. Just stick with it and it becomes routine. You won't feel hungry until you're prepping your first meal of the day.
  • Fit2B135
    Fit2B135 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @npost102592 I was wondering how your intermittent fasting was going? Today is my day 2.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I do 16/8, sometimes, like today, I8/6. Didn't lose any weight because of it but did't expect to. It more a style of eating than a weight loss tool. It just helps me manage my calories and eat a big dinner because that's what I prefer. I have never felt weak and I don't really feel any hunger from the time I get up until my first food. For me it works well because the earlier I eat, the more often I want to eat but delaying the first food is easy.
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i do 18:6 with only 6 hours of feasting, 12:OO noon - 6:OO p.m.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Been doing 16:8 for a few years now. It's made everything simpler. Rarely am I hungry. And if something comes up and I don't eat for closer to 24 hrs, it's no big deal to wait. I've lost (meeting a weight class limit), mostly maintained, and gained (purposeful winter bulk) all while doing IF.
  • Hermie123451982
    Hermie123451982 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Been doing this for 3 months now and am down 30lbs love this way of eating as don't feel hungry and have more energy. Good luck everyone.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Started 23:1 fasting aka Omad. One meal one hour, full day's worth of calories- loving it so far! Before I did keto for months and always felt hungry and craving sweets. So eating all day, 3 meals plus keto friendly snacks. Never really satisfied.. one meal of eating anything I want and feeling so stuffed afterwards is a great feeling for me. Cake, chocolate, you name it. I've lost 1.5lbs in 3 days and I don't feel deprived at all. I'm only 115lbs, so 1.5 lbs is a big deal for me!