Swimming-great for exercise not so great for everything else

2»

Replies

• neidory
    neidory Posts: 1 Member
    One of the best tips I've had has been to put a few pinches of vitamin C powder in a spray bottle full of water. I spray my body/hair/suit off after I swim and then I shower. It's helped get rid of the chlorine smell that would linger through the day. I use a swim shampoo and conditioner, too (Ultra Swim). I found the vitamin C powder at Whole Foods. One 8 oz container has lasted over a year.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    The other advice given is fantastic but I just want to add - spring for a new suit. If yours is sagging and uncomfy it has the potential to annoy you enough to make you stop going. An ill-fitting suit was the reason why I stopped going swimming ages ago. I miss it!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    def spring for a new suit if you want - swimoutlet has grab bag suits - its a set price, no returns but a lot cheaper than buying a full-priced one
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2017
    dmkoenig wrote: »
    OK so I know I'm in no position to speak intelligently about women's suits other than chlorine-resistant fabric. I have had great success with the Tyr Durafast line of products. They are 100% polyester and hold up really well, retaining their stretch and form for a long time. My fave online site for swim products is swimoutlet.com.

As an aside, the other recommendation I have is Aquasphere goggles. They are extremely comfortable, hold their seal well and are available in darker tints for outdoor swimming in sunny areas. Swimoutlet.com carries Aquashpere ladies goggles. They cost $15-$20, considerably more than goggles you can pick up at Walmart but they last a long time and are immeasurably better.

I can speak about women's suits: I love the Tyr fabric BUT their suits have removable bra cups instead of sewn in ones. They never fit right for those of us on the bustier side.

I have had really good luck with the Foxnovo Leacco goggles. One pair usually lasts a few years of 3 x a week swim sessions.They are supposedly anti-fog but no goggles really are. I do the baby shampoo trick and have never had a fogging issue.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Um what is the baby shampoo trick with goggles?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,307 Member
    ryenday wrote: »

Just put a drop in and move it around with your fingers. Quickly rinse the goggles or leave it on. It's anti-fog.
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Swim Outlet, Swimsuits for all, and Lands End - all have excellent options for longer lasting swimwear. The higher polyester content suits hold up better, I like the Speedo, Tyr, Longitude, and Land's End the best. I do laps and water aerobics average 8 to 11 hours per week. I'm lucky, cool showers, Cetophil body wash ( most days) , Dial bar soap a couple times a week, and magnesium lotion on feet/legs keep my skin comfortable and healthy. I keep my hair out of the water most of the time, cover with cap or shower cap. (I wear braid/or updo under the cap)
  • earlnabby
    ryenday wrote: »

Just put a drop in and move it around with your fingers. Quickly rinse the goggles or leave it on. It's anti-fog.

I like to drop it in just before I walk out the door, then rinse when I get to the pool (about 15 minutes later). I wear contacts and am always cautious about bacteria in the eyes so I prefer to not spit in my goggles. Even if you don't get all the shampoo rinsed out, it doesn't sting your eyes.
  • earlnabby
    Swim Outlet, Swimsuits for all, and Lands End - all have excellent options for longer lasting swimwear. The higher polyester content suits hold up better, I like the Speedo, Tyr, Longitude, and Land's End the best. I do laps and water aerobics average 8 to 11 hours per week. I'm lucky, cool showers, Cetophil body wash ( most days) , Dial bar soap a couple times a week, and magnesium lotion on feet/legs keep my skin comfortable and healthy. I keep my hair out of the water most of the time, cover with cap or shower cap. (I wear braid/or updo under the cap)

I have had really good luck with Dolphin and Aquabelle suits.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Can't add to anything that has been said except come join us in the Did you swim today thread.
    A way to see the workouts others are doing and gain tidbits of info.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Wearing a proper swimming hat helps protect your hair.