Stuck in a rut and constantly hungry

Options
Sam29a
Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
I have been trying to lose weight for what seems like forever. I'm almost there but I still have lots of problem areas where I have tonnes of fat that I need to get rid of. I had been eating around 1200 calories since January 2016, although I ranged anywhere between 800 - 1300 during that time for the most part. I've had 3 cheat days since then. I've lost weight without exercise but now had got to the stage where I knew I had to start exercising to speed things up and get the body I am after.

Recently I've found that I'm constantly hungry and really miss eating the food that I used to have. I don't want to get back to obese again, but after I've eaten all my calories for the day, I'm still super hungry. I've recently joined the gym, but this hunger problem occurred before I joined. I've upped my calories to 1350, which is about as high as I can go to lose weight I think. Since increasing my calories I have not lost any weight, but I'm hoping in time the weight will come off.

Anyone have any tips or tricks on managing hunger? I feel so demotivated and depressed sometimes when I think about how I'm still not thin. It's been over a year and a half and I'm still not happy with where I'm at. For around 2 months I've been stuck at the same weight, or gaining and losing the same few pounds, what am I doing wrong?

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Experiment and figure out what helps with the hunger. High volume foods (salads, fruits, veggies) work for some. For me a giant salad with some protein works. Proteins in general keep me full longer.

Log everything, be honest with your logs, and find the things that make it work for you.

And don't let a lack of quick losses get in your head. If you are maintaining or losing slowly, you are still headed in the direction you want to go. Nobody got big overnight, and getting smaller takes time as well.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Tip: Eat more protein and fiber. There are many ways to get more protein at a relatively low calorie cost, but you'll never get a gram of protein for less than 4 calories. 37 grams is way too little and if that's happening most days your hunger is intense.
  • Sam29a
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Experiment and figure out what helps with the hunger. High volume foods (salads, fruits, veggies) work for some. For me a giant salad with some protein works. Proteins in general keep me full longer.

Log everything, be honest with your logs, and find the things that make it work for you.

And don't let a lack of quick losses get in your head. If you are maintaining or losing slowly, you are still headed in the direction you want to go. Nobody got big overnight, and getting smaller takes time as well.

I've been very slowly losing weight over a year and a half. I think that's slow enough! I'm not looking for big losses, around 2 lbs a month as before would be great, but that's not happening anymore. I am very honest with my logging, every single thing is logged. I never eat out, only when I get home or I take something with me. I will try adding more protein, although I always struggle with that as I love oats for breakfast and don't like lots of meat or fish.
  • Sam29a
    Options
    Tip: Eat more protein and fiber. There are many ways to get more protein at a relatively low calorie cost, but you'll never get a gram of protein for less than 4 calories. 37 grams is way too little and if that's happening most days your hunger is intense.

Thanks, I'll definitely try it. Most days I am getting around 30-50g of protein which I know isn't enough, I just love my carbs a bit too much!