DOMS - What works for you?

Options
Crazyfighter99
Crazyfighter99 Posts: 38 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
So I've started going to the gym again, and I went a little too hard for my first time in a while. Needless to say, I've got some DOMS haha.

I've done a little google-fu about it so I have a general idea about what scientists say what does and doesn't work, and not that it's so bad I can't a handle it, but I was hoping to see what works for you guys.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,182 Member
    Options
    Hot shower
    Soak in hot bath
    Stretch a bit
    Keep exercising ... but keep it fairly light.

For example, I'll be stiff and sore after a particularly long bicycle ride. I find that going for a light, short ride or a nice walk helps.
  • Crazyfighter99
    Crazyfighter99 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Hot shower
    Soak in hot bath
    Stretch a bit
    Keep exercising ... but keep it fairly light.

For example, I'll be stiff and sore after a particularly long bicycle ride. I find that going for a light, short ride or a nice walk helps.

Yeah one of the biggest things I've been told is to stay active.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Light movement and I swear by epsom salts in the bathtub!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nothing truly works but time, in my experience.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you're doing legs, I swear by a cold soak in the tub for 10 minutes right after. Some people hate it, but I felt like my DOMS wasnt as severe after I did a cold instead of a hot soak. I save the hot soak with epsom salts for my rest days.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    For me, i do what caused it!

So I'll bench the bar if chest DOMS, Squat just 60KG if i have leg DOMS etc etc.

As has been said - you don't fix it, you just reduce it

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Anything to get more blood to that area should help get more nutrients needed for recovery. Not really going to get rid of it, just speed up recovery.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If it's really bad, I'll just do a bit of chill movement for a day. But generally just carrying on with regularly scheduled programming eases it. I rotate body parts and full body days so it's not often I'm in danger of working the sorest areas concurrently.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Increase in protien and carbs plus stretching and warm showers.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Foam Rolling and softball work. It can hurt whilst doing, especially the softball, but your body will thank you 40 minutes later. The pressure will help get blood flowing to your muscles and start the lactic acid removal. There are videos on how to do it. Drink plenty of water. I've also found, like others, that active recovery also helps - long walks, etc.

What really works for me is preventative mobility work - if I'm doing a workout that is heavy on cleans or deadlifts, I'll spend 15 minutes with bands, balls, and a roller on my hamstrings, calves, and quads alone. I'm getting older, so I've found that if I don't put in the time before the workout, I'll pay the price for days after.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    So I've started going to the gym again, and I went a little too hard for my first time in a while. Needless to say, I've got some DOMS haha.

I've done a little google-fu about it so I have a general idea about what scientists say what does and doesn't work, and not that it's so bad I can't a handle it, but I was hoping to see what works for you guys.

Keep moving, regular stretching/rolling, drink plenty, eat a banana (or two) and if it's really bad (like after a very long run) a warm epsom salts bath.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Stretching. Ibuprofen.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've found not overtraining helps tremendously.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    warm bath/shower after; then foam rolling and stretching (do this nightly) really helps mine;

I did a half-ironman on Sunday and then drove 14hrs home on Monday, aside from some residual stiffness I'm pretty good right now because I stick to this method
  • pigheaded
    pigheaded Posts: 3,083 Member
    Options
    I have DOMS all the time. The only thing I haven't tried is rolling as part of an after workout streaching, I may have to try. So far all that works for me is time. I had to change my routine to split large muscle groups so I have three days minimum between. The only time I don't get it is cardio.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options

DOMS isn't caused by overtraining.

Overtraining isn't DOMS.

Fair enough. But, overtraining (in the many forms that exist) can lead to DOMS.

But, you get my point, don't workout to the point where DOMS enters the picture.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Overtraining isn't DOMS.

But, you get my point, don't workout to the point where DOMS enters the picture.

I disagree. I have DOMS on some part of my body nearly all the time. Constantly trying new things and pushing your limits will cause you to constantly be sore. I have never had any negative effects from the soreness.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Overtraining isn't DOMS.

It's a banner day. I agree with rdi.

DOMS is a normal and healthy part of expanding your horizons and getting stronger.

Certainly you can avoid it. But there's no benefit to avoiding it.