trouble maintaining ideal weight

I am a 72-year-old woman. I am 5'2" and 111 lbs. I want to maintain 111 lbs. I walk 4-5 miles per day at 3.0 mph. I eat from 1350-1450 calories per day. I have trouble maintaining 111 lbs. It seems unlikely that I would gain weight but if I go over 1350 calories I gain a pound. What am I missing?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited July 2017
    You might be eating more than you think - logging inaccuracies.

You might be attempting to maintain in too narrow a band - people don't normally weigh exactly the same every day.

You might be reacting too soon to what is a tiny change that would have resolved itself without intervention. Why not set yourself to 1450 average (1400-1500 per day) and keep to that for a month as an experiment?

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    I am a 72-year-old woman. I am 5'2" and 111 lbs. I want to maintain 111 lbs. I walk 4-5 miles per day at 3.0 mph. I eat from 1350-1450 calories per day. I have trouble maintaining 111 lbs. It seems unlikely that I would gain weight but if I go over 1350 calories I gain a pound. What am I missing?

Hi
    I only worry about it if I fail to maintain within 5 pounds of my lowest weight, if I go over that then I will go back to a weight loss diet.

FWIW in some people to much salt causes water weight, in others Sugars and Carbs have the same effect, I am on of the latter FWIW. I may have a weird metabolism as to many carbs in any form per day and I feel the heat worse.

I do get out and walk in the morning after having either a protein or piece of fruit and before having Breakfast.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    weight fluctuates - I can go from 145 to 150 overnight if I eat a higher sodium meal or get crappy sleep

maybe setting a range (109-113) would work better - since its highly unlikely you are eating enough to actually gain a 1lb of fat
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,920 Member
    Unless you gain more than 5lbs and it keeps going UP, then I wouldn't worry due to how the body's weight fluctuates on a daily basis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png