1200 Calories

Options
g0g3tt4
g0g3tt4 Posts: 2 Member
So I'm new to this and I'm trying to do meal prep for 1200 calories, but it seems like a lot of food. I usually only eat maybe 900 calories a day. I even exercise and burn about 500 calories a day. Is that bad?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    1200 is the bare minimum for women. Anything under that is a bad idea unless you're on doctor supervision. Why so low?
  • AmyMichelleMcClure
    AmyMichelleMcClure Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fitness professional but taking in only 900 calories and then burning 500 of those does not seem healthy for your body. I would consult your physician or a fitness professional to find your key caloric intake and start from there. Good luck!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    No offence meant, but if you are used to only eat 900 cals a day, how are you in the position to need to lose weight?

1200 cals is the minimum amount recommended for women, before exercise, and it really isn't a lot of food. You need to intake a certain amount of macro/micronutrients for good health, and on limited calories you make this extremely difficult.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    OP has left the building. I suspect someone may have left the trolls out again?
  • rickyoliveras77
    rickyoliveras77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eat under 2000 calories a day to much junk foods out there
  • That_Country_Girl82
    That_Country_Girl82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I understand. When you are eating correctly it is hard to eat that many calories. I at least make myself get 1000 a day
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    So I'm new to this and I'm trying to do meal prep for 1200 calories, but it seems like a lot of food. I usually only eat maybe 900 calories a day. I even exercise and burn about 500 calories a day. Is that bad?

Eating 900 and burning 500.....that's means your heart, lungs, kidneys, etc. have 400 calories to work with. OF COURSE that's bad.

WHY is it bad? When you have a really large deficit it's hard for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. Your body makes choices.....fuel a full head of hair or fuel your heart muscle. Your body can't get everything it needs from fat stores, so it breaks down existing lean muscle mass for fuel. You lose weight, but your body fat % doesn't go down as much as it could have.

1200 calories when eating "correctly" is not hard at all. Calorie dense foods.........olive oil, nuts, nut butters, avocado, cheese.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I understand. When you are eating correctly it is hard to eat that many calories. I at least make myself get 1000 a day

When you are eating "correctly", surely you are giving your body enough calories to be healthy?

Your body needs a certain amount of nutrients (macro and micro) to function well, and you aren't providing it that on 1000 cals or less a day.