I feel let down... In need of some words of wisdom!

Options
Hi Guys, been on MFP since May, I have lost 4lb only..

I started on around 1500 calories didn't lose anything was yo-yo ing So I presume I was storing water and then losing that weight but nothing overall.

I have gone down to 1432 calories, I have been on them for two/three weeks now, and Im still the same weight. I am devastated I feel like I have failed. I have been on an overall calorie controlled diet for around 2 an a half years now and lost about 19lb.

I am trying to incorporate some added exercise, I am limited with the condition I have. But I try do "Something" each day. So I am not sedentary.

I thought I should be losing at least 1lb a week or even a every two weeks but I'm not.

Can anyone please give me some advise or tips?

Thanks MFP friends x

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary would be a big help.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Maybe if we knew what kind of medical condition you have, we could better guide you towards an exercise program that would work for you? Exercise has been absolutely critical for my weight-loss. That being said, my weight-loss is fairly slow and I'm constantly having to adjust and try new things. Try not to get discouraged! You're in this for the long-haul. It's okay if it takes a few years to get all the weight off, it just means that you've had more learning experiences in that time and you know your body better!
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a food scale and to be sure you are tracking EVERYTHING you eat (condiments, any bites or nibbles) accurately.
  • steffie36
    steffie36 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The section of MFP that asks for your daily activities is where you should report your daily exercise routines. The other one (Where it asks whether you are sedentary or active ect) is asking what your daily routine entails, without added exercise. For example, if you are an office working, your normal daily routine would be sedentary. If you are a postman who delivers by bike, you are active. Except on sundays. No post of sundays.
    If it was asking for your daily exercise routine, there wouldn't be an exercise section.
    You need to make sure your daily routine and your exercise routine have been separated, or else you will be maintaining or loosing slowly.
    I cycle between 1-5 hours a day (Depending on how lazy i feel), so that time/distance has been recorded in my exercise diary. My daily routine is sedentary (Unemployed this summer, Student again in september, so i'll be even MORE sedentary then, if possible) . Otherwise i'll be eating more than i burn.

I hope this helps.
  • NC0224
    NC0224 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hey! So I am not sure if you know of different sites to use and all that, but I use this one - http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm - to calculate my calorie intake. You can even choose to calorie cycle to keep your body on its toes, basically! When I find that I am not losing weight, I calorie cycle to switch it up. that means that you just change the amount of calories you eat each day; Monday - 1200, Tuesday 1500, Wednesday 1300... etc.

If you are unable to do much exercise then maybe you are eating too many calories... I know it's tough to stay on the low side, and I don't know how tall you are or anything like that. For example, I am 5"1" and 24 years old, so when I don't workout I try and stay at about 1300 calories, but this is based on what I know works for me from the past. Staying on a very low calorie diet all the time is tough, and can set some people up for failure. It is best to find a type of exercise you are able to do... as someone before me said, I don't know your condition, but something stationary like a bike, or elliptical machine might be an option. Walking is also good exercise and you can burn a lot of calories, depending on your speed and length of time, of course.

As far as food, making sure you are eating the right foods is also important. You may be able to fit something in your calories, but is if fitting into your allotted carbs, fats, etc?

Also, measuring is a good thing to do. Sometimes you may not lose weight, but you may have lost an inch or so off your waist and hips. I measure and weigh myself.

I hope this helped. Feel free to message me if you want, or add me. :)
  • JennypegMarie
    JennypegMarie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Diary open
  • JennypegMarie
    Options
    I have chronic pain disorder and a neurological/immune disorder. Its crucial I don't over-exert. It does not stop me doing what I can, and I refuse to be sedentary but its so important to balance it. I was swimming once a week burning 400 calories, I still didn't lose, haven't managed to swim for a few weeks as I have been active with other stuff. I will get back there but need to recoup first and build enough energy to cope with that.
  • JennypegMarie
    Options
    I have notice a lose on inches mainly top half, I need to get the weight down Im willing to try different calorie approaches so thank you for that.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking???

Eating lots of fruit and veggies???

Logging everything properly???
  • JennypegMarie
    Options
    How much water are you drinking???

Eating lots of fruit and veggies???

Logging everything properly???

I am drinking lots, and having a reasonable amount of fruit and veg I have up days (( Eating quite a bit of both and down days, not so much)) and yes I have been logging as accurate as I can.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration and it can't be easy with your conditions.

Have you ever had your thyroid checked? Is your condition and autoimmune disease of some sort? If it is, you are more likely than most people to develop Hashimoto's thyroiditis which can result in an underactive thyroid. It could explain why you are having so much difficulty. Another thing to check would be your cortisol levels as you have a chronic condition. Just a thought...

I hope you find the solution soon :flowerforyou:
  • JennypegMarie
    Options
    Opening your diary would be a big help.

Diary open
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Dont listen to the scale! (especially in the beginning) If your clothes are looser your doing well. There are SOOOO many reasons why the scale wont budget but if your are seeing some changes then your doing well. My biggest thing I tell people is to take pictures and take your measurements, so that when/ if the scale stops you can see progress in other ways. Keep on at it.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    If you're losing, you're doing it right. Doesn't have to be as fast as you thought or wanted.. this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Keep doing what you're doing.

ETA: Yeah, measure too. Weight loss isn't linear. It comes off in chunks... or has for a lot of us.
  • JennypegMarie
    Options
    I feel your frustration and it can't be easy with your conditions.

Have you ever had your thyroid checked? Is your condition and autoimmune disease of some sort? If it is, you are more likely than most people to develop Hashimoto's thyroiditis which can result in an underactive thyroid. It could explain why you are having so much difficulty. Another thing to check would be your cortisol levels as you have a chronic condition. Just a thought...

I hope you find the solution soon :flowerforyou:

Thank you, sorry. just getting into this quoting thing... I thought the reply button would reply individually and they didn't... :laugh:

Yes, they are like autoimmune diseases. I will have to get my levels checked as thyroid disorders run in my family.

I suppose I should expect it to be a loooonnngg road and staying the same instead of gaining to much is a bonus. I suppose 'Self-great expectations' don't help. I will get there in the end, I won't give up.

Has long as I know I am not going back - and I am going forward as I think when the scales stay the same or increase a bit you panic thinking "Ohhh no I'm going to pile on all that weight again"

I need to keep healthy for my health, and well being.

Thank you for you all for your advice, support like this makes all the difference, so thank you :smile:
  • JennypegMarie
    Options
    If you're losing, you're doing it right. Doesn't have to be as fast as you thought or wanted.. this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. Keep doing what you're doing.

ETA: Yeah, measure too. Weight loss isn't linear. It comes off in chunks... or has for a lot of us.

Thank you for that insight. Again, I think its expectations. Well done on your progress. That is an awesome amount lost. :smile: