Picking a goal weight??

Options
2»

Replies

• Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I first chose a number in the middle of my healthy BMI range but when I reached it I still wasn't happy so decided to shoot for the lower end. I know now that I still won't look in the mirror and love my body at that weight but I wouldn't want to make myself unhealthy by going any lower so I'll just have to focus on building muscle and toning to shape my body.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I go by the old doctor's adage of 100 pounds for first 5 feet, then 5 pounds per inch after I'm 5 feet 6 inches so that's 130 pounds. I've been this weight before, many many years ago and it's a great weight for me.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is my pre-pregnancy weight. I will still be obese when I hit that mark--I was in the middle of a lifestyle change when I got pregnant and morning sickness which only let me eat super sweet/salty stuff for 3 months threw a wrench into the whole deal.

Once I hit 204 lbs, I will reassess. I'm 5'4" but pretty muscular under all the fat, so I'll probably set both a weight and clothing size goal, and keep going until I hit the clothing size or I get pregnant again ;).
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I found this website where there are tons of pictures of real women at different weights for each height. It was very enlightening and I picked my goal weight that way. http://www.mybodygallery.com/
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Calculate your body fat, look at a body fat picture chart, decide what your goal body fat would be, and then calculate what you would need to lose to get there.

This link has body fat calculators (though calipers would be more accurate if you can get that done at the gym) as well as the goal weight calculator that you do last:
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

and here is the BF% pic chart so that you can pick what you would like your goal BF to be:
    http://www.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

I like this advice, and have used the same to cacluclate, take that reconfirm my goal weight.

I picked goal measurements, thought about a my weight last time I was near them, and then used that to guide my target weight. It ended up being pretty close to the BF% calculator number.

It is OK to change it.

To be honest, if I get to my "goal" and I am heavier, it makes no difference.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just pick a weight that felt good at in the past. I may not feel the same as I lose. But atm I am good with the number I choose although I'm not married to it.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I don't have agoal weight, I have a goal body fat percentage. I am perfectly happy gaining weight so long as I drop my body fat (and in fact, intend to go on a bulk in the next few weeks to buil back some of the muscle I have lost while burning so much fat).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I picked the high end of normal on the BMI scale since that's all doctors go by.
    This makes no sense.
    How does it make no sense? That doctors don't go by BMI to determine your health? Or that I picked a number based on BMI?
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I picked the high end of normal on the BMI scale since that's all doctors go by.
    This makes no sense.
    How does it make no sense? That doctors don't go by BMI to determine your health? Or that I picked a number based on BMI?
    BMI is a fairly inaccurate way to determine a healthy weight. Doctors use it as a yardstick since it is easy to determine, but I have had more than one doctor look at my BMI (saying I'm overweight) then look at me (less than 20% body fat) and realize that my BMI is meaningless and move on from there. Unless you happen to be near the middle of the bell curve, BMI is going to be inaccurate for you.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I was tempted to choose my goal weight based on my old 'regular' weight of 114. Then I realized that I was a teenager then and that I was too thin even with as muscular as I was back then. I also wanted to keep my breasts and hips a little bit (since I have kids, I don't imagine my hips will entirely disappear :p) So I chose 120- at first I chose 125 but I had only went with that number because I was too scared of trying for 120 and failing. I've been steadily losing with MFP and feeling good, so I'm not afraid anymore and I really know I can do this.

Also, I DID check my goal weight with BMI (118-146ish?) and other recommended weight ranges for my frame and height. My goal weight is on the lower end, but still within healthy and I think normal for my smaller frame with lots of leg muscle.