2»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    There is a blog option on MFP (this site)

I do have a questions about your spreadsheet, are those all the calories you take in each day?

Fast weight loss is not the healthy way to lose. At your size you should be eating around 2,000 cals/day to lose weight. eating this little will lead to a large % of your loss coming from lean muscle, not just the fat you want to lose.

Set your goal on this site to lose 1 to 1.5 lbs per week and eat the amount of calories it tells you too (less isn't necessarily better)

Strange as it may seem, my metabolism is only about 1700 cal/day, not the 2460 given in medical charts. I've noticed that if I eat more, I metabolize faster, and vice versa. My body adjusts its metabolism depending on how much I eat, so I will never lose weight eating 2000 cal/day, trust me. The only thing that works for me is carb restriction, but I probably should get my calories up higher, I agree with that.

Also, I'm new here, so could you please point me to the Blog section, I didn't find it here.

Do you weigh all solid foods you eat and measure liquids? If not what you think is 1700 is probably closer to 2500. You are only going to harm yourself by doing an 800 cal/day diet, and if you lose muscle your metabolism will slow even more, making it easier to put the weight back on.

blog section here: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/

Yes, I have a handy Martha Stewart scale that reports in either grams or lb/oz and I use it for everything, and I measure liquids. As a former bench chemist and wannabe chef, I can eyeball volumes surprisingly well when I don't have access to my cups and spoons.

As far as losing muscle mass, that only starts to happen when you get down to a BMI of 10 or so, basically REAL starvation. I love food too much to go anorexic, lol. Meanwhile, I plan to lose as much fat as I can primarily by restricting carbs I don't need. I only eat when I'm hungry, and sometimes 800 cal is all I need, but I'm not going to be so strict about the low calorie part that I don't enjoy a juicy steak or bunless hamburger.

Thanks for the blog link!

That is wrong, you lose fat, muscle, water, all along, you will lose a larger % of muscle when lower weight/bf%, but the body is efficient. If you don't give it enough fuel it will try to get rid of what used calories, which would be muscle over fat, thereby lowering your metabolism more than if you lost mostly fat, meaning you have to eat even less to lose the same amount of weight. This is a survival mechanism in order to avoid starving, why would hte body hold muscle and waste calories just keeping it there, vs keeping you alive (organs etc.)

And you need strength training and adequate protein to retain muscle, even at higher bf%. How much protein are you getting per day? Based on your stats I would aim for a bare minimum of 125 grams (500 cals from protein).
  • crackingwise
    crackingwise Posts: 14 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I do have a questions about your spreadsheet, are those all the calories you take in each day?

Fast weight loss is not the healthy way to lose. At your size you should be eating around 2,000 cals/day to lose weight. eating this little will lead to a large % of your loss coming from lean muscle, not just the fat you want to lose.

Set your goal on this site to lose 1 to 1.5 lbs per week and eat the amount of calories it tells you too (less isn't necessarily better)

Strange as it may seem, my metabolism is only about 1700 cal/day, not the 2460 given in medical charts. I've noticed that if I eat more, I metabolize faster, and vice versa. My body adjusts its metabolism depending on how much I eat, so I will never lose weight eating 2000 cal/day, trust me. The only thing that works for me is carb restriction, but I probably should get my calories up higher, I agree with that.

Also, I'm new here, so could you please point me to the Blog section, I didn't find it here.

Do you weigh all solid foods you eat and measure liquids? If not what you think is 1700 is probably closer to 2500. You are only going to harm yourself by doing an 800 cal/day diet, and if you lose muscle your metabolism will slow even more, making it easier to put the weight back on.

Yes, I have a handy Martha Stewart scale that reports in either grams or lb/oz and I use it for everything, and I measure liquids. As a former bench chemist and wannabe chef, I can eyeball volumes surprisingly well when I don't have access to my cups and spoons.

As far as losing muscle mass, that only starts to happen when you get down to a BMI of 10 or so, basically REAL starvation. I love food too much to go anorexic, lol. Meanwhile, I plan to lose as much fat as I can primarily by restricting carbs I don't need. I only eat when I'm hungry, and sometimes 800 cal is all I need, but I'm not going to be so strict about the low calorie part that I don't enjoy a juicy steak or bunless hamburger.

That is wrong, you lose fat, muscle, water, all along, you will lose a larger % of muscle when lower weight/bf%, but the body is efficient. If you don't give it enough fuel it will try to get rid of what used calories, which would be muscle over fat, thereby lowering your metabolism more than if you lost mostly fat, meaning you have to eat even less to lose the same amount of weight. This is a survival mechanism in order to avoid starving, why would hte body hold muscle and waste calories just keeping it there, vs keeping you alive (organs etc.)

And you need strength training and adequate protein to retain muscle, even at higher bf%. How much protein are you getting per day? Based on your stats I would aim for a bare minimum of 125 grams (500 cals from protein).

Most of my caloric intake is coming from lean meats, eggs and high-protein legumes, at least 200 protein g/day. I'm also eating nuts for healthy fats, ie extra calories. I mostly abstain from grains and sugar in all its forms, but get fiber from vegetables and beans. But I see your point - weight training is a must for preventing muscle loss. Guess it's back to the gym!
  • crackingwise
    edited July 2017
    Options
    duplicate post

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Most of my caloric intake is coming from lean meats, eggs and high-protein legumes, at least 200 protein g/day. I'm also eating nuts for healthy fats, ie extra calories. I mostly abstain from grains and sugar in all its forms, but get fiber from vegetables and beans. But I see your point - weight training is a must for preventing muscle loss. Guess it's back to the gym!

Now we're adding weight lifting to a VLCD? Can't say we didn't try...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    duplicate post

200 grams of protein has 800 calories. How can you eat 800 cals of protein on a diet of 700-800 calories that also includes alcohol? Maybe if you were eating 1600 cals you could get in 800 cals of protein.

Or do you mean 200 cals from protein (50 grams) which would not be enough!
  • crackingwise
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Now we're adding weight lifting to a VLCD? Can't say we didn't try...

Done with you.