Your magic metabo-meter: what do we actually know?

I wish I had a monitor that could show me exactly what my body needs at any given moment. Am I in ketosis? What just happened to the food I ate? What nutrients do I need the most in any given moment? Am I getting enough X? Do my muscles need more protein? Does eating this or that really boost my metabolism? I have these thoughts a lot.

Unfortunately, I feel like most of what I'm doing is guess work... changes from article to article... and even though it's working (which is largely is) I want to improve my knowledge levels to sort through the garbage, the fads, the nonsense, the propaganda, the bogus or completely limited hardly-scientific "studies," and get some facts on what food and nutrients really do when they enter your body.

The only thing I can seem to be sure of is that everything causes cancer. Lean meat and veggies? Probably good for you -- unless you grill or char it or barbecue, in which case CANCER (I feel like I give everything a good sear.. crispy salmon skin, crispy brussels sprouts, toasted quinoa patties). Let's be real, food would suck if you couldn't grill it. Others blame sugar for virtually all our woes and liken its addiction to cocaine -- but I've read from folks here that's mostly bull (agenda)... even so, I avoid anything with added sugar unless it's a very intentional, accounted-for cheat.

What are the good sources, though? Livestrong? It's an article farm that regularly contradicts itself. Men's Health? Some good reads, but wades into a lot of junk science. Documentaries? Show me one food-related documentary that doesn't come with a massive agenda and ends-justifies-the-means approach. Vegan propaganda? Makes some solid points but wants me to believe that all meat is cancer-causing death food.

Need a source that is 100 percent no bull, will explain what each nutrient and macro really does, which multi-vitamins and supplements actually do jack, how metabolism actually works, and which foods to actually avoid.

Anybody else think about this stuff? Let me know your thoughts...

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    examine.com?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    The what now?!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    Need a source that is 100 percent no bull, will explain what each nutrient and macro really does, which multi-vitamins and supplements actually do jack, how metabolism actually works, and which foods to actually avoid.

Foods to avoid: stuff that is moldy/bad; you're allergic to; you don't like.

Vitamins and supplements efficacy: www.examine.com

What nutrients do and how metabolism actually works: www.bodyrecomposition.com

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    The most no-bull source out there: www.bodyrecomposition.com. Lyle backs up his articles with research data. When research data is unavailable and he uses anecdote, he tells you that. It's as good a source for everything from beginner level reading to advanced physiology. His books are great too.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I wish I had a monitor that could show me exactly what my body needs at any given moment. Am I in ketosis? What just happened to the food I ate? What nutrients do I need the most in any given moment? Am I getting enough X? Do my muscles need more protein? Does eating this or that really boost my metabolism? I have these thoughts a lot.

Unfortunately, I feel like most of what I'm doing is guess work... changes from article to article... and even though it's working (which is largely is) I want to improve my knowledge levels to sort through the garbage, the fads, the nonsense, the propaganda, the bogus or completely limited hardly-scientific "studies," and get some facts on what food and nutrients really do when they enter your body.

The only thing I can seem to be sure of is that everything causes cancer. Lean meat and veggies? Probably good for you -- unless you grill or char it or barbecue, in which case CANCER (I feel like I give everything a good sear.. crispy salmon skin, crispy brussels sprouts, toasted quinoa patties). Let's be real, food would suck if you couldn't grill it. Others blame sugar for virtually all our woes and liken its addiction to cocaine -- but I've read from folks here that's mostly bull (agenda)... even so, I avoid anything with added sugar unless it's a very intentional, accounted-for cheat.

What are the good sources, though? Livestrong? It's an article farm that regularly contradicts itself. Men's Health? Some good reads, but wades into a lot of junk science. Documentaries? Show me one food-related documentary that doesn't come with a massive agenda and ends-justifies-the-means approach. Vegan propaganda? Makes some solid points but wants me to believe that all meat is cancer-causing death food.

Anybody else think about this stuff? Let me know your thoughts...

For a lot of that, a biochemistry textbook is what you're looking for (explains what each nutrient and macro really does and how metabolism actually works objectively). Won't contain the most recent discoveries, though.

For recent discoveries, you need to be able to read and evaluate actual studies (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov is probably the most comprehensive site). These won't be 100% without an agenda or 100% well designed and well executed. Hence the need to be able to evaluate the quality.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    vismal wrote: »
    The most no-bull source out there: www.bodyrecomposition.com. Lyle backs up his articles with research data. When research data is unavailable and he uses anecdote, he tells you that. It's as good a source for everything from beginner level reading to advanced physiology. His books are great too.

I just went into a rabbit-hole on this source. I'm diving in, thanks for the recommendation.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    vismal wrote: »

I just went into a rabbit-hole on this source. I'm diving in, thanks for the recommendation.

Ditto! Much obliged!