Homemade salsa

Options
JimieLou
JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
So my boyfriend and I have been getting bountiful baskets for quite a while. This week we went out on a limb and got an extra Mexican veggie pack along with it. It has some chilis and peppers and cilantro and some onions And lime and tomatillos. We were hoping we could make some salsa using it. There aren't any tomatoes though so I was wondering if anyone had a tomato free sAlsa recipe. Or if I had to I could go buy some tomatoes. Basically we are just looking for some homemade salsa recipes that have a little heat but aren't raging fire. Anyone have any good ones they'd like to share?

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    My husband makes homemade salsa all the time, and I've become addicted to it, especially with mashed up black beans. Mmm... I know what I'm havin' for dinner lolz

Anyhow, he doesn't go by any specific recipe, it's really hard to mess it up, but here's what he does:

Ingredients:
    -Onions
    -Tomatoes
    -Jalapenos
    -Cilantro
    -Salt

1. Grill following items:
    - Onions (cut onion in half, then peel layers - then grill)
    - Whole tomatoes
    - Jalapenos
    You want to char them, but don't burn them!

2. Place onions, tomatoes and jalapenos in blender. Blend it up until it reaches your desired consistency. My husband likes it basically liquified/thin, I like it thick and chunky. Pour into a bowl.

3. Chop up cilantro and place it into the bowl, mix it up.

4. Add salt to taste.

Voila, done. Easy peasy, so delicious. I suppose if you don't have a grill you could try using an indoor grill, but the char is what you want, that's how it gets most of its flavor. Enjoy! :)

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • Shandra101
    Shandra101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The tomatillos make the yummy green salsa!. You have to roast or boil them first and they smell funny when cooking but taste good in the end. For less heat and more flavor you can add garlic and less jalapeno.

Enjoy!

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tomatillo_salsa_verde/