Pain with High-Impact Exercises

Options
Moxie42
Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
Sorry if this is a repetitive question- I know I've seen this talked about in the forums before but can't seem to find any of the threads!

I seem to be prone to stabby pain in my shins, and/or what feels like bruising on my heels/backs of my ankles, from high-impact exercises. I'm trying to take steps to avoid injuries such as stretching and getting good shoes (currently researching places that will basically customize shoes for feet), and I've been avoiding anything too high impact (I do Zumba videos but will replace jumping with side-steps, etc.) However I don't want to have to avoid high-impact forever, especially since it makes me hesitant to pay for classes that I would really like to try because they sound fun.

I guess I have a few questions: How can I tell when I should push through the pain, or back off because of injury potential? How can I minimize injury risk while doing high-impact exercises? What can I do to make myself less prone to this kid of pain/injury (I'm sure losing weight will help but anything else)?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can sign up for classes and let the instructor know your issues. EVERY exercise has a low impact modification,if you're willing to do that. Losing weight will help A LOT, especially if you have much excess.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints. Try walking as exercise, it's low impact and you can still burn a ton of calories doing it. Sure, it takes longer, but it can also help you build yourself up stronger for the tough stuff (like running/etc.). I walked almost exclusively until I was near my goal weight, then I started to learn to run. Having good running shoes helps, but mostly not being 100lbs overweight helped more. The only thing that I know of that will heal shin splints is time and rest, ice and nsaids can help, but if that's the problem and you keep it up you can also end up with a stress fracture which will take even longer to heal. Talk to your doctor about it as soon as possible.
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Good point, thanks! I could use the same modifications in a class that I use at home. If I need to do that until I lose a bit more weight, it would be worth it- much better than getting hurt and reallllly derailing my progress.

I think I just get frustrated when I know I have the stamina to do something like jumping jacks or little hops during a Zumba routine, but can't do them because my ankle or shin is hurting. But too many times I've tried to push through and it's backfired. I just hope this is a temporary issue.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I would recommend to check your shoes , I was working out in running shoes and used to get lots of knee injuries from wrong form of lunges and squats. Are you wearing correct shoes for your activities?
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You really want to listen to your body when it comes to pain. There is a difference between pushing through muscle fatigue and joint or other pain. If it hurts for days then you need to scale it back or not to that workout. If you do a workout and your joints actually hurt for a couple days you are doing more damage than good. Proper rest and stretching are very important too especially when you first start a workout program.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Step aerobics would be low(er) impact but higher intensity than say, walking. You can (increase) decrease the step height. When I was younger I used a higher step. Jenny Ford has YouTube videos if you want to test drive a workout.

Rebounding would be low impact, high(er) intensity if your gym offers those types of classes.

"Side-Jacks" would be your low impact jumping jack.
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I've had shin splints in the past and that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Sounds like low-impact and patience is the way to go for now. Thankfully I stopped this time before my shins started stabbing me and it's just a little pain in the back of my heel. I might skip the Zumba tonight (or modify the crap out of it) and focus on my core exercises.
  • rtogetfit93
    rtogetfit93 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin splints all the time before I lost some weight and started lifting weights. Getting your strength up through low impact but intense resistance training could help you in the long term and adding muscle will help with your calorie burn (and ultimately fat loss) too.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    You can sign up for classes and let the instructor know your issues. EVERY exercise has a low impact modification,if you're willing to do that. Losing weight will help A LOT, especially if you have much excess.

Truth.

Lose the weight and keep doing what you can in the mean time-especially GOOD modifications of exercises that you hope to work up to. Your body will adapt and strengthen to the movements. Over time (and as you lose) your body will be able to handle the stress better and hopefully you don't have the same pain once you work back up to the higher impact movements.

This being said, assuming no injury, good form, and good shoes!
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and input! I definitely need to get better shoes. I have an amazing pair for hiking (but it's too hot to hike locally), and some have been great for walking, but not very good at all for anything else. I think it's time to go to one of those places that "map" your feet and invest in something truly meant for the activities I'm doing and my type of feet.

For now I'll take it easy on the Zumba/aerobics, sticking with the modifications and trying lower-impact exercises if I'm experiencing the "bad" (not just soreness) pain. I was doing both Zumba and core exercises every day so I'll try rotating- doing Zumba/aerobics one day, and core/strength the next day.

Between better shoes and losing some weight, I feel very hopeful that this is temporary and will be able to work my way up to the high-impact stuff :)

I don't belong to a gym right now- mostly just doing videos from YouTube and links from Pinterest, but I've been looking into a kickboxing class. It's not exactly "low-impact" but it's also not slamming my feet on the ground, which I think is what gives me problems.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I had surgery on ankle years ago and since then my gate is slightly off. Get stabbing pain in ankle and knee from running or jumping. I don't get it from lifting, walking, or swimming. I would try these and also go to a running shoe store and get the proper shoes for your gate and arch. It might cure the problem with just getting some better gear.

edit: Yes lifting (315lbs deadlifts for reps) does not cause pain but jogging 3 miles would. Something with the impact versus a more steady increase in stress.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Go low impact. I'm doing physio right now for a sore heel I got from running and "working through" the pain. It's annoying to have to rest and let something heal so don't push it.

Good luck
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Thanks! That's exactly why I wanted to get people's thoughts- usually I push through, and end up having to stop completely for a while which is sooooo frustrating!

And yes, it seems to be the impact itself of my foot hitting the ground that causes the problem because all jumping type of movements (anything from running to little hops) starts hurting very quickly....but I'm fine with anything else. I'll take it easy on that kind of stuff until I get new shoes (I do have high arches and the soles of my shoes get worn on the "inner" sides more than the outer so something is off, lol) and then test the waters.

I don't have access to a gym or pool currently, but for now I'll go with lower-impact modifications for my Zumba videos, and only do those every other day. On the non-Zumba days I'll do core/strength stuff. And if anything bothers me in spite of those things, I'll take it easy instead of pushing through. Soreness is fine but stabby pains, not so much.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    Good point, thanks! I could use the same modifications in a class that I use at home. If I need to do that until I lose a bit more weight, it would be worth it- much better than getting hurt and reallllly derailing my progress.

I think I ejust get frustrated when I know I have the stamina to do something like jumping jacks or little hops during a Zumbabut too many times I've tried to push through and it's backfired. I just hope this is a temporary issue.

Yes, we all get frustrated because of one limitation or another. You will figure out how to address it and keep progressing regardless.
  • deekris
    deekris Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine was a ballerina. She said rolling pencils with your feet helps. You rolled them to your heel then back to your toes and pick it up.

It helps me a bit but I need to do it more often.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Also do toe and heel raises to strengthen the muscles. Stretch after working out as well.