Disc compression on bike + how to log

Options
When riding my stationary bike I find after ten minutes my lumbar discs start to compress, so I have to stop and walk around a bit before continuing. I usually peddle at a light-to-moderate intensity and my heart rate increase feels good (along the lines of a sustained speed-walk). So far I do feel some strengthening in my thighs and during TOM cramping subsides while peddling so I want to keep up with it, but I'm not sure how aggressively to pursue it (normally I would ask my chiro, but I was laid off a month ago so my appointments have been put on hold for the time being). Feedback from those with degenerated discs would be especially appreciated.

On a side note, when logging my bike time is it better to log the intervals individually or can they be logged cumulatively (minus break time)?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you stop the clock when you stop, then just log the total time.

Can you experiment with different postures on the bike? I can't post photos from my phone but Google to see what cyclists look like with aero bars, and see if mimicking that helps.
  • SundropEclipse
    SundropEclipse Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've tried a couple. The best so far seems to be sitting further back on the seat so my spine isn't supporting all of my weight, and it forces me to keep my back straight. I can get closer to 15 minutes before the compression gets painful, but at the cost of fatigue in my upper back (this should resolve as my bust loses weight though). I'll definitely look up the postures though.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Aero positions are more difficult to maintain so a more upright position may be the best position.

It's probably not in the budget at this time but if you have longstanding disc issues a recumbent bike could be the best long term option. Your back is completely supported and it's a much more comfortable position to maintain.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Here's a picture of an "up right" riding position:

58-GOODY_Upright_Stephen-Craig_Photo-Kamil-Bialous-lead.jpg

Here's a guy on a road bike using aero bars:

aero-edited-large-.jpg

A typical bike puts you somewhere in between. It sounds like that's painful for you, and that riding more up right helps, but only for so long.

@dmkoenig is right that this "aero" posture isn't for everybody. It might work - people on bike tours use these just to have another hand position, so they can stretch out their back and shoulders - but it might not.

I'm not suggesting you go out and buy a set, just try leaning forward, maybe rest your elbows on the bars. My thinking is that you can get your back straightened out, like being up right, but keep the weight off your spine. Feel like it's worth a shot.

Also agree with the suggestion that a recumbent style might ultimately suit you better.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I completely get the idea @NorthCascades has with the aerobars. I have a set on my road bike that I often use on long rides to relieve stiffness from my normal road riding position. But it does typically require good flexibility in your lower back so that position can create a completely different set of issues...