Sick today update

Options
So I ended up going to Urgent Care. They said my eating habits are great, I drink plenty of water, eat plenty of fiber....but I have an intestinal blockage which is why I probably can't consume my daily calorie goal. If by tomorrow nothing has changed I'm going to be admitted to the hospital! I'm so upset. Now I know why my weight loss has been non existent and I've been so sick! It's not the program, it's my own body!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Poor you. I hope it sorts itself or if it doesn't they are able to sort it for you.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! Glad you went to Urgent Care, hope all is well with you very soon.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    No to a laxative or enema?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    No to a laxative or enema?

They generally don't recommend laxatives for bowel obstructions especially if you don't know what's causing it.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I hope the doctors sort every get out and you are on the mend soon!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    edited July 2017
    Options
    How are these bowel obstructions cured then? What causes them.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    edited July 2017
    Options
    messed up repeat
  • singingflutelady
    edited July 2017
    Options
    How are these bowel obstructions cured then?

Depends on what's causing them. If it's from being overly constipated the Dr may use laxatives but if something is blocking your bowel nothing will come out that end (It might come out other ways that are TMI).

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000260.htm
  • pfbuckeye83
    pfbuckeye83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words! They're not sure what caused it. I wish I knew! But, I was ready to throw in the towel on this program because I couldn't consume enough calories, wasn't losing weight, & my stomach makes me look pregnant. I'm so glad I went in though! My doctor says that everything I'm doing is great! I'll keep with the program as much as possible during this. I don't want to go off a program that really does work, just not for me right now. I know that, when this situation is fixed, I'll get right back on track!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

Depends on what's causing them. If it's from being overly constipated the Dr may use laxatives but if something is blocking your bowel nothing will come out that end (It might come out other ways that are TMI).

I think it depends on whether it's totally blocking or a partial blockage too. I had a small bowel obstruction a couple of months ago that was caused by adhesions and was completely blocked. Surgery was the only way to fix it. I was lucky, no resection required but it was incredibly painful.
  • pfbuckeye83
    pfbuckeye83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    They believe it's due to 2 abdominal surgeries causing adhesions, but I also have a hernia that may be causing it. They're giving me 24 hours on Magnesium Sulfate. If that doesn't work, I'll be having surgery to fix the problem.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Oh man sorry you are going through this. At least you have an answer. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Runninjustincase
    Runninjustincase Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this. I'll pray that all is well with you soon. :)
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

I think it depends on whether it's totally blocking or a partial blockage too. I had a small bowel obstruction a couple of months ago that was caused by adhesions and was completely blocked. Surgery was the only way to fix it. I was lucky, no resection required but it was incredibly painful.

I have an ileostomy (no colon) so partial obstructions are not uncommon from food and I have tricks to fix that thankfully as I hate ng tubes but I'd never fool around with total obstructions.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    They believe it's due to 2 abdominal surgeries causing adhesions, but I also have a hernia that may be causing it. They're giving me 24 hours on Magnesium Sulfate. If that doesn't work, I'll be having surgery to fix the problem.

Yup those are definitely risk factors unfortunately:(
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

Best of luck to you! Hope it resolves with no surgery required.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Hope you're healed and feeling better very soon!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update.

Hope everything is going well and you are sat on the 'throne' reading the posts.

Please come back and update the thread when you can.

Cheers, h.