Options
2»

Replies

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    klkarlen wrote: »
    Excess calories ingested into the body are converted into new chemical compounds called triglycerides. Remember the law of the conservation of mass/energy from basic biochemistry. This is stored in adipose tissue (fat) on the body in the form of lipids. When you are losing weight, your body is then metabolizing these triglycerides to be used as energy due to a caloric deficit. The resultant energy from this chemical reaction is expelled from the body as carbon dioxide. So in truth your lungs are actually the primary biological mechanism for weight loss, which tends to throw some people for a loop.

I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but there have been numerous scientists and universities who have actually calculated the ratios of expelled CO^2 per pound of fat loss in the past. I am sure you could find it on PubMed if you are really curious. Some guy I went to grad school with was doing research on something quite similar.

So our weight loss is contributing to global warming in the form of excess greenhouse gas?

No, when human exhale CO^2 they are simply returning to the environment the same carbon that was there to begin with, thus the carbon cycle. Not that human overpopulation does not bring with it significant environmental concerns, but they are unrelated to this example.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Just and FYI .. Drinking copious amounts of water everyday so you pee out the fat faster is not a thing people. I never believed this back in the day, honest :blushing:

I don't trust your blushing face, for some reason....
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Just and FYI .. Drinking copious amounts of water everyday so you pee out the fat faster is not a thing people. I never believed this back in the day, honest :blushing:

I don't trust your blushing face, for some reason....

Oh God OK. Yes, i did believe it. Feel better now? :tongue: :lol::wink: