Fitbit Calories Advice for a Newbie.

Options
Quick question as I'm new to this! Do you eat the extra calories that Fitbit gives you from your daily steps or do you stick to the calories set by MFP? Thanks!
Gemma

Replies

• CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    They're setup so you eat back those additional calories so your net cals end up what MFP gives you as a goal. However, some people prefer to eat only a small % back and others eat them all back. Personally, I each a small amount back because MFP overcalcs calories (IMO).
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Personally have set mfp activity level to sedentary. When being (more) active, wearing the fitness tracker (walking / doing exercise), positive adjustments are made to the total calories allowed.

If there's some calories left and still feeling full, would not eat everything back.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I try to eat back a proportion of my calories earned by exercise, but not all of them. I do this to protect myself in case something hasn't been logged correctly :) be it that I've eaten more than I think, or I haven't burnt as many calories as MFP thinks I have :) x
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I always eat back 100% of my earned Calories in maintenance. I ate back 90% of them when I was losing a few pounds and had no problem netting about 1600 Cals per day to lose those pounds when I had MFP set to lose 0.5 pounds per week. For comparison, I am 55, 5'8", 150 lbs. and my maintenance net Calories are about 1820 at MFP Sedentary. I normally gross 2300 Calories and earn on average about a 500 Fitbit Calorie adjustment above MFP Sedentary activity level setting.

I do use a food scale to weigh all solids, measuring cups and spoons to measure liquids, and verify all food items I log through outside web sources and Nutrition Facts labels. I trust that my Calorie Intake is pretty accurate using MFP, and I trust my Calorie Output is pretty accurate using the Fitbit Charge 2.

I would recommend reading through the first three posts in this thread on the MFP Fitbit Users group...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users