Newbie advice please!

Options
Quick question as I'm new to this! Do you eat the extra calories that Fitbit gives you from your daily steps or do you stick to the calories set by MFP? Thanks!
Gemma

Replies

• YOLO145
    YOLO145 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    @jemimapuddle My FitBit is synced to MFP, it adjusts the calories for me. I recommend adjusting the stride length on FB and make sure your activity level is also set correctly. I work out for an hour+, 5x a week, but my lifestyle is relatively sedentary...some folks say they get a crazy # of calories added, but I don't.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my steps. I do eat back deliberate exercise (walks, runs, bike) which I enter manually in MFP. A lot of the random steps are just part of your normal activity level and included already. On my rest days I usually get about 5000 steps, but that's for things like shopping, walking to the mailbox, heading to the kitchen, etc. which are all part of a normal life.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my steps. I do eat back deliberate exercise (walks, runs, bike) which I enter manually in MFP. A lot of the random steps are just part of your normal activity level and included already. On my rest days I usually get about 5000 steps, but that's for things like shopping, walking to the mailbox, heading to the kitchen, etc. which are all part of a normal life.

A FitBit gets "synced" to MFP though. It's not like logging 100% of your daily steps as exercise. With a FitBit there is no need to log step based deliberate exercise either....the FitBit captures it reasonably well.

The OP's FitBit is comparing her stated activity level against her actual activity.....the added calories are the DIFFERENCE.

Read this - great explanation
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1

After you get used to things look for an MFP setting for negative calorie adjustments. This will take calories away if you are inactive. This is great if your days are up and then down.