Switching from full fat soda to diet soda

Hi so I have been dieting for 2 weeks now and have currently lost around 3 pounds. One major factor which has made me gain weight in the past is my addiction to soda. I would drink around 4200 calories of it every single week. I have removed full fat soda completely and have tried to resist it as much as possible. I Used to have around 4 or 5 2litre bottles of soda every single week but now I limit it to 1 2litre bottle of pepsi max a week. I know it would be ideal at some point to completely remove all types of soda but will the 1 bottle of Pepsi max be harmful to my diet. Has anyone had any success with switching to diet?

Replies

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    On the basis of calories-in-calories-out (CICO), then a switch from normal to diet soda can only be a good thing.

There are quite a lot of threads on the wonders of Diet Coke (other caffeinated sugar free beverages are available :) ) so it's basically safe to assume that there are a LOT of people on here who find success while including drinks like Pepsi Max in their life! Sometimes in quite significant quantities.

So good on you for making the switch, and welcome to the light side :p
  • boulank
    boulank Posts: 51 Member
    I try not to have any Soda but when I have a craving I usually have Diet Dr.Pepper as I find it doesn't taste like normal Diet Soda's do.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I assumed you meant sugar because there's no fat in soda.

But sure, I'd try diet, what do you have to lose? That change alone might not be enough to make you lose weight though.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Just to clarify there's no fat in regular soda but there is a lot of calories.

Switching from regular to diet soda is a great way to reduce calories with minimal fuss and it was one of the first things I did back when I started my weight loss phase :) I went on to lose 50lbs and improve all my health markers so diet soda didn't negatively impact me at all!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    The sad part of the "full fat" sarcasm joke, is that it's very easily possible that someone truly believes there's fat in soda.

And it's probably started like that lol
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Just like skim milk has added sugar since they took out the fat. :smiley:
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    The sad part of the "full fat" sarcasm joke, is that it's very easily possible that someone truly believes there's fat in soda.

It's actually a joke? Because I'm good just accepting it as "what it's called over there."
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member

It's actually a joke? Because I'm good just accepting it as "what it's called over there."

If someone asks for fat coke, they want regular, not diet :D
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    theWODdoll wrote: »
    Switching to diet soda is a great start because you're not consuming the extra calories and sugar. However, it should only be temporary to help you get off of it completely since diet and Coke Zero all have so many artificial ingredients in them that can effect a persons health in the long run. What I would do is just cut back a little each week. Let's say you drink 3 diet soda cans a day (I think that equals about a 1 liter bottle) then drink 2 per day for a week, then 1 day for a week, then 1 every other day and so on until ur off of it or only have 1 a week. If cutting back every week is too soon then do every 2 weeks. You can also drink FitAid or Celsius (Celsius is cheaper). They're both made with carbonated water and they're supplement drinks - not energy drinks. I have 1 a day to get that carbonated taste. Hope that helps!

Diet soda is fine. There's nothing scary in them. If there were, they wouldn't be legal. Enjoy your calorie-free soda, OP!

I agree that diet soda is fine. I disagree with "if there were, they wouldn't be legal." Plenty of consumer products are harmful and still legal such as cigarettes and alcohol. But I digress. Nothing harmful with consuming with artificial ingredients in diet soda.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member

I don't believe that is true. I believe skim milk has a higher percentage of sugars in the milk total because the fat was removed. Can someone more knowledgeable than me answer this?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I assumed you meant sugar because there's no fat in soda.

But sure, I'd try diet, what do you have to lose? That change alone might not be enough to make you lose weight though.

It's a colloquialism. British, I believe.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I don't believe that is true. I believe skim milk has a higher percentage of sugars in the milk total because the fat was removed. Can someone more knowledgeable than me answer this?

They definitely do not add sugar to skim milk (or other skim daily).

The amount of sugar is actually not very different.

Here's 365: a cup of skim has 12 g of sugar, 91 calories; a cup of regular has 11 g of sugar, 150 g of calories. The difference is that without the fat you get a bit more of the rest in the cup.

With Fage greek yogurt you actually have less sugar in the 0% version, not sure why.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Mmm...carbonated butter...

(Edit: I just Googled it and apparently carbonated butter seems to have been a real thing back in the 1920's. I found a summary from a scientific journal publication debunking its supposed benefits.)
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »

(Edit: I just Googled it and apparently carbonated butter seems to have been a real thing back in the 1920's. I found a summary from a scientific journal publication debunking its supposed benefits.)

Wow never imagined there would ever have been carbonated butter but now I have to google what the supposed benefits were.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »

Wow never imagined there would ever have been carbonated butter but now I have to google what the supposed benefits were.

The claimed benefits are that it has less bacteria, is richer in vitamins, stays fresher longer, and tastes better, according to this 1921 article.

These claims were debunked in 1924 in the Journal of Dairy Science. Abstract here, though the paper itself is behind a paywall.