help. everything is high in fat. protein where are you?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dnyanesh132016
    Dnyanesh132016 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Add me .
    Thank you
  • Dnyanesh132016
    Dnyanesh132016 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Add me plz.
    Thank you
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    bvcah wrote: »
    How much fat and protein are you shooting for?

Im aiming to get 40% of my diet which MFP says 181g and Fat of 27g for the day. is that realistic?

Oh, I missed this. I think focusing on total grams makes more sense and that that amount of protein and fat does not work well together. My math puts you at about 1810 cal and if so that's only 13-14% fat, which is really low unless you have medical reasons.

I agree with the person who said that .8 g/lb of healthy goal weight is a good estimate for protein. About .3-.4 g/lb is a good estimate for fat, although higher is fine if you don't mind that it reduces carbs a bit.

Those numbers give me about 100 g of protein and 50 g of fat (.4) as a baseline, although I like eating lower carb so actually increase the fat some and protein at the 100 g or more.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'll take about a pound and a half of 97% lean ground turkey, add 2 eggs, about 30g of my favorite bbq rub, about a quarter cup or 1/3 of Italian bread crumbs, 1-2tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (2 tbsp makes them very moist), and make it into about 6 large patties.

Thanks for this. I just made turkey meatballs with everything but the oil (well, and ranch dressing instead of BBQ rub + 3 TBS whole milk) and they were super gross compared to the tasty tasty bites that emerge from my oven when made with ground chicken. I'll give 'em one more try to see if oil is the key.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    bvcah wrote: »
    How much fat and protein are you shooting for?

Im aiming to get 40% of my diet which MFP says 181g and Fat of 27g for the day. is that realistic?

Everything I've been reading says not to go by percentage of macros.

I'm interested in attempting to preserving as much lean tissue body mass as possible in the face of little to no exercise while losing weight. As such, I calculated my RDA for protein and then doubled the number in accordance with what have seen. When I plan my day, I base it around hitting that number first, then I tinker with carbs (then fat) to meet my calorie goal.

At currently ~1400-1500 calories a day, for my weight, that's coming out to right around 40% protein, 35% fat, and 25% carbohydrates. Which will change as my weight and daily calories allowed go up/down.

So far, so good.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there's more type of food that would fit right in on this chart, but it's a good start.

i9d1l5l8w33q.jpg
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I'll take about a pound and a half of 97% lean ground turkey, add 2 eggs, about 30g of my favorite bbq rub, about a quarter cup or 1/3 of Italian bread crumbs, 1-2tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (2 tbsp makes them very moist), and make it into about 6 large patties.

Thanks for this. I just made turkey meatballs with everything but the oil (well, and ranch dressing instead of BBQ rub + 3 TBS whole milk) and they were super gross compared to the tasty tasty bites that emerge from my oven when made with ground chicken. I'll give 'em one more try to see if oil is the key.

I found the oil helps the juiciness, otherwise turkey (and chicken) can get very dry. Also, the bbq seasoning is a big one for me, it seasons it up very well. 30g is a lot, and i usually buy packs of ground turkey from Honeysuckle White, I think they are actually 1.25lb not 1.5. Anyway, makes a yummy burger.