Keto diets

Options
So i just want to find real people doing the keto diet to keep me on track and have some support. I work in a correctional facility and every one here is doing the x diet products. Well i refuse to diet and depend on pills so i am doing it on my own and have a ton of questions for people who have may been doing it for a little bit. Contact me!

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Diets are things you do temporarily. One downfall of Keto is that people have trouble sticking to it for a lifetime (therefore - diet).
    MFP is a great place since I have learned to focus on "healthy". Not diets.
  • tg16nullity
    tg16nullity Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Keto isn't a fad. Call it a lifestyle instead of a diet if you must, but the word "diet" by definition isn't a bad thing. It just refers to what you eat. Choose a sustainable diet for you.

I started eating low carb back in Jan '16 after I had hit 375~ and realized I was in real danger of ending up with heart disease and a mobility scooter. I shed 60+ lbs in the first three months, and another 60 over the next year or so after reintroducing some healthy carbs (veggies). There is a ton of good info in an easy, fun read on this site:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight

I'm almost 2/3 of the way to my goal and have lost 10 inches from my waist, but have been stuck for a while as I had been allowing myself to have cheat weekends/weeks here and there (and also maybe drinking a bit too much). If I can maintain my weight (+/- 10lbs) on keto, I'm confident that many people can. I only joined this site for the food tracker since I decided to go back to <20g daily carbs and start a c25k program in effort to take off these last 60 lbs over the next few months.

I hope you find the above website helpful, and wish you luck on your journey! Post updates for us!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Not a diet but a preferred style of eating. Some people feel more satiated/satisfied eating low carb. And if you eat low carb, you need to eat more fat and/or protein. Keto is extremely low carb.

I personally lasted only a short while once upon a time when I tried it, as that was before I stumbled upon 'calorie counting' as tool. I would imagine if you search the groups, you will find some revolving around low carb and keto.