Wow! Losing is tough when you're 50+ years young!

Options
ItsVJ
ItsVJ Posts: 107 Member
edited July 2017 in Motivation and Support
Looking for those 50+ year-old friends I haven't met yet. Shedding pounds/building muscle is not as easy as it used to be. Let's support each other!

Replies

• WendyofMysfam
    WendyofMysfam Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Count me in! Just made level 51 last month! ha. My sweet tooth is my biggest issue. Also, I just started with this app today, but I will get more updated soon.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and this is my second time around...as I regained most of what I lost about 10 years ago. Yep...it was easier in my 40's.
  • sjack44
    sjack44 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'd love some more support! I've just turned 50 and am finding it slow going :)
  • ItsVJ
    ItsVJ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You're singin' my song, LadyLilion! Same here. I dropped 50 pounds on MFP four years ago, hit a rough patch in life, stress ate and abandoned the gym - gained back every pound. AAAAAKKKKKK! Now life is back under control and I'm ready to get back up on the horse.

Looking forward to working on this together!
  • dianemduvall
    dianemduvall Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I just started this week after a 50lb weight gain over 6 years - due to senditary work (home office worker) - no exercise - menopause- and too much wine. Just turned 55 yo. I need encouragement too. Glad to have found you!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have actually found it to be so much easier since I got older. Part of it is that there are no longer all the hormones cycling through my system since menopause. I don't have to deal with the additional hunger, water weight gain, sleep disturbances, and general weirdness that comes with monthly periods. Granted, I am dealing with joints that ache more than they did when I was younger, but the eating part of this is so much easier to handle.
  • snavemom
    snavemom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You are all just kids :)

I'm 63 years old and I am back at it - Seems to be a never ending battle since 55+ I also had my gallbladder removed last August and I've gained 10 extra pounds since. I love retirement, but this weight has to go!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and losing weight seems to me to be easy. Of course, I cook for me, I shop for myself, and I have several quite useful cardio machines in my own home so exercise is always at hand if I want.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and losing weight seems to me to be easy. Of course, I cook for me, I shop for myself, and I have several quite useful cardio machines in my own home so exercise is always at hand if I want.

I agree. I lost 54 lbs., began when I was 57 and am at at healthy weight and BMI for the first time is 25 years. Tomorrow I will be 61 and good health is a gift I gave myself. I went from a size 14/16 to 4/6 and am having a blast wearing flattering clothes.

It wasn't easy, but I developed good habits, one at a time until it all came together. The biggest change was letting go of the "fat is no good" mantra I adopted in the 70's, I believe it contributed to my weight gain and not being able to lose weight.

Good luck to everyone!
  • Sabinecolada
    Sabinecolada Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think I found this post for a reason, hopefully to regain traction on my health & lifestyle journey (don't like to use the term 'weight loss", sheesh it gives me the creeps.
    I'm 53, recently gone through a divorce, still working out the financial break up. Not allowing 'the victim mentality' or the m word (menopause) take over my life.
    I exercise regularly, weight training & or boxing twice a week and try to walk for an hour every morning with my beautiful friend Mary. Although I'm not too sure this counts as exercise. We have coffee afterwards and pat ourselves on the back for again avoiding the delicious cake counter. Sounds good so far doesn't it.

I have also found myself a gorgeous new man, we travel, bike ride, walk, make love (still sounding pretty good) eat and drink ( aha now we are getting down to it) Yep we love to eat and drink (deep sigh here).
    So after shedding 30kg's and keeping it off for app. 5 yrs it is now slowly creeping it's way back up. (another deep sigh). And although I reprimand myself every night and tell myself tomorrow is a new day and I'll get my sh.., I mean my act together then For Sure! I fail miserably.
    So For those of you who find 'loosing weight' easy, yes I am talking to you Jerome and mikesmom, I would love to hear from you. Please share with us your motivation, tips and inspiration. I could really do with the help.

Kind regards,

Sabine.
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    U can add me. 56.
  • boptobi
    boptobi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    62 years young- have been an unhealthy weight most of my adult life, with times of losing 20-30 lbs. and gaining it back again....hope that I can finally, for the last time, lose 65lbs, keep it off, and live a healthy lifestyle!!
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    69 nearly 70 and cone to a stand still, finding it tough but got to keep trying, it's harder as you get older but can still be achieved. Good luck to you all.
  • CoueCoue
    CoueCoue Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I try to walk for an hour every morning with my beautiful friend Mary. Although I'm not too sure this counts as exercise. We have coffee afterwards and pat ourselves on the back for again avoiding the delicious cake counter.

I don't care what you call it - sounds like an awesome way to spend time. You're still moving and even if your coffee is a "latte" and you take in a few more calories than you burn, I reckon the "feel-good" benefits of being outside and spending time with your friend knocks it out the park as a "healthy lifestyle" activity!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    3 months before I turned 48, I had a decision to make. I could just resign myself to being a dumpy, slow cyclist who couldn't do much in the way of long distance cycling anymore ... or I could do something about it.

A year later, I hit the lowest weight I've been since my early 30s.

A year later, I was well and truly back into the long distance cycling.

I'm 50 and 4 months now ... and I'm a slender, fit long distance cyclist again. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I actually found weight loss easier in my 50's !

Children more self-sufficient, career settled, more time for myself.

Plus the information and tools are so much better these days, comprehensive food labelling, internet has all the information you could ever need (if you can differentiate between reliable sources and nonsense!), MyFitnessPal of course.

Now 57 and having a ball.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think I found this post for a reason, hopefully to regain traction on my health & lifestyle journey (don't like to use the term 'weight loss", sheesh it gives me the creeps.
    I'm 53, recently gone through a divorce, still working out the financial break up. Not allowing 'the victim mentality' or the m word (menopause) take over my life.
    I exercise regularly, weight training & or boxing twice a week and try to walk for an hour every morning with my beautiful friend Mary. Although I'm not too sure this counts as exercise. We have coffee afterwards and pat ourselves on the back for again avoiding the delicious cake counter. Sounds good so far doesn't it.

I have also found myself a gorgeous new man, we travel, bike ride, walk, make love (still sounding pretty good) eat and drink ( aha now we are getting down to it) Yep we love to eat and drink (deep sigh here).
    So after shedding 30kg's and keeping it off for app. 5 yrs it is now slowly creeping it's way back up. (another deep sigh). And although I reprimand myself every night and tell myself tomorrow is a new day and I'll get my sh.., I mean my act together then For Sure! I fail miserably.
    So For those of you who find 'loosing weight' easy, yes I am talking to you Jerome and mikesmom, I would love to hear from you. Please share with us your motivation, tips and inspiration. I could really do with the help.

Kind regards,

Sabine.

@Sabinecolada It's right there, highlighted for you. You're using food and alcohol as a social cement rather than as a fuel for your simple caloric needs. If you reprimand yourself after consuming too much, try using that self-awareness to consume a little less and stay within your calorie budget. I figure you and your beau are spending a lot of together time at dining/drinking establishments? You might have to start having your salad without dressing or bread as a meal on such occasions.
  • Odd_One25
    Odd_One25 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm not alone! Lol! I'm 56 (in body anyway, mentally I never made it past 20
  • Odd_One25
    Options
    Where did the rest of my post go???
  • Odd_One25
    Options
    I don't have time to retype it all now. I'll be back later.....