Deadlifts have I been doing them wrong?

Options
cingle87
cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
Just wanted to ask, just browsing the net for new exercises I could do to change my lifting routine up abit, of the three website I looked at they all said its best doing the deadlift with a under and over grip, ie one hand palm up, the second palm down. Now for since ive been doing my deadlifts for nearly a month now, ive just been using the under method.

Does it really make much of a difference if I use 2 hands over or will I get more benifit with a under over grip?

Opps meant to say I use 2 hands over not under

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I always use double over or use straps.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    only reason for the split grip is to make it easier to grip.
    i use a normal grip up to about 100kg, then i switch to a split grip which sees me ok up to 140kg.
    i'm again struggling for grip, so will be getting straps soon.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    only reason for the split grip is to make it easier to grip.
    pretty much this. as your weight gets higher, it may get harder to grip. I also find the one over/one under helps with my form as it helps keep the bar closer to my shins for some reason.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Double overhand grip is preferred, but as you increase the weight it might be hard to hold the bar and you might start to slip. This is why as you increase weight, some people switch to a mixed grip (one hand over, one hand under).
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Over under is a stronger grip. There is nothing wrong with a double over. Don't use a double under.