Type 1 Diabetes

I am a type 1 diabetic for 35 years. I use MFP to help with counting carbs. I also am a Fitbit user. Trying to lower my a1c and lose weight.

Replies

• rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Welcome.
    I've seen a few diabetics on here.
    I've heard people say that the knocked the old diabetes back and got off meds.
    B)
  • xdanikadrake
    xdanikadrake Posts: 13 Member
    Welcome! Type 1 for 17 years, MFP has definitely helped lower my A1C too. Good luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited July 2017
    Former type 2 here. You know you are on meds for life. But that's OK. MFP can help you tighten up on your counting.

I saw an argument that the fastest and lowest cal recovery from a sugar low is glucotabs and that makes a lot of sense.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    rmgnow wrote: »
    Welcome.
    I've seen a few diabetics on here.
    I've heard people say that the knocked the old diabetes back and got off meds.
    B)

Just for the record Type 1 Diabetics are on Insulin for life unless a cure is found.

Welcome to the OP :-)
  • Martinelalune
    Martinelalune Posts: 2 Member
    Does anyone else struggle with motivation when they keep getting low blood sugar and require to eat sugar? I had a few times where I wake up in the middle of the night, blood sugar extremely low and I have to eat a massive amount of sugar...I know it’s about insulin management but it’s hard and it kills my motivation.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I hear that glucotabs are the most efficient at getting your blood sugars where they need to be for the lowest calories.

Maybe work with your health provider to adjust your nighttime insulin (either the amount or the type). How about a balanced snack just before bed? It should include fats and protein. Cheese and crackers work, or Edamame.

Keep in mind that I’m a T2 and I might be talking through my hat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I follow Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution for BG and better weight control. I have IR and not T2D, but his is a T1D and his solutions for lowering insulin needs seems to work well for both types.

Good luck. :)
  • etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    edited June 2018
    I am a type 1 diabetic for 35 years. I use MFP to help with counting carbs. I also am a Fitbit user. Trying to lower my a1c and lose weight.

I’m a type 1 for 30 years and am finding MFP very useful as i try to cut carbs and lose weight. So far I’m down 28 lbs and my a1c dropped from 8,9 to 7.5. Feel free to friend me