Confused. Help!

Options
meg_mindbody
meg_mindbody Posts: 23 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I'm a bit confused, as essentially the bulk of what I have been reading on MFP suggests that counting calories is the best way to see weight loss. However, I just had a somewhat disheartening fitness consultation with a trainer, and was told that for optimum results re: losing weight, I need to track macros. I'm not sure why, but my automatic thought was that this will be harder for me to do. Is it? and is this a better method to see weight loss results?

Replies

• meg_mindbody
    Options
    So I'm a bit confused, as essentially the bulk of what I have been reading on MFP suggests that counting calories is the best way to see weight loss. However, I just had a somewhat disheartening fitness consultation with a trainer, and was told that for optimum results re: losing weight, I need to track macros. I'm not sure why, but my automatic thought was that this would be harder to track. Is it? and is this essentially a better way to see weight loss results?

Calories are king.

I'm so confused now! Haha. She didn't say to completely disregard calories, but is what she's saying to track macros in order to keep track of where my calories are coming from??
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've lost 90lbs only tracking calories not macros. I wouldn't worry too much
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Did you ask why the trainer wanted you to track macros? Did the trainer give you a goal? What training/qualifications does this person hold to make the advice credible?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    MFP tracks your macros for you, so you can see how you're doing on that score. Keep in mind that different people find that different macro splits work best for them in terms of satiety. I find that when I hit my protein (or come close) I feel fuller. I'm vegetarian and there are carbs in a lot of my protein sources. It's one macro I usually exceed target on. I tend to come in at around 50-60% of my fat target. It's something I keep an eye on, because fat helps the body absorb certain nutrients, but so far, I don't feel like anything is missing or lacking.

There are people who do well on low-carb, high-protein or low-carb, high fat. It depends on the person and the person's goals. (Mine are to hit a healthy BMI while holding onto as much muscle as I can in the process.) I've dropped almost 70 lbs so far, mostly focused on calories and protein. And iron; my hemoglobin is a little low.

You'll probably find, as you track calories and find the foods that give you energy and satiety, that you'll naturally hit a certain macro split that may or may not be what MFP gave you.
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It's not harder to do. If you are using MFP to track macros, it will show you the calories as well. Either way, you are tracking both. I would ask your trainer his/her reason behind that. It's good to make sure you are getting enough macros, but calories are what you need to concentrate on to lose weight. Don't just take his/her word for it with no understanding of it. Have him/her educate you. That's what you are paying for. If you get some ambiguous answer, I would find another trainer.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If carbs are used most easily, how does that slow fat loss? Dietary fat isn't the same as stored body fat.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If you're tracking macros, you're inadvertently tracking calories. ~4kcal/g of carbs and protein. ~9kcal/g of fat. Macro grams x appropriate macro calorie, add the total sum of each macro category = total calories. If it's less than what your body needs, you will be in an energy/calorie deficit and lose. If it's the same you'll be in an energy balance aka maintenance. If it's more, you're in an energy/calorie surplus and gain.
  • meg_mindbody
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    So I'm a bit confused, as essentially the bulk of what I have been reading on MFP suggests that counting calories is the best way to see weight loss. However, I just had a somewhat disheartening fitness consultation with a trainer, and was told that for optimum results re: losing weight, I need to track macros. I'm not sure why, but my automatic thought was that this will be harder for me to do. Is it? and is this a better method to see weight loss results?
    The only way to lose weight is to eat less calories per day than you burn. Counting is IMO the best way to ensure this happens. If weight loss is all you are concerned about, calorie counting is all you need to do.

If you care about your body composition, counting macros helps a great deal. Making sure you get adequate protein and fat each day can help you have a better physique once you lose the desired amount of weight. It's not complicated at all and MFP already tracks macros for you. The key is to not make it super strict and try and hit each macros down to the gram. It's far easier to simply have your calorie goal, let's say 1800 just for the purposes of this discussion. Every day you need to eat 1800 or less calories. In doing so you should try and make sure you hit X grams of protein and Y grams of fat. That's it. Hit your protein goal, your fat goal, and stay under your calorie limit. Now what should X and Y be? Well, I usually tell people protein should be about 0.6-0.8 grams a day per lb you weigh and fat should be 0.35 grams per lb you weigh. Now remember, those are minimums, you can exceed them so long as you stay under your calorie goal. Eat at least X grams of protein, eat at least Y grams of fat, and eat whatever else you want to stay under 1800 calories. Does that make sense?

Yes. Thank you so much!
  • ssbbg
    ssbbg Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If your trainer has recommended a particular macro split, you can override MFP's default and enter your trainer's values. It might be easier for you if you set that up. You do this in the goals tab.
  • Tapout112009
    Tapout112009 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Calories are def the most important part to lose weight. Be in a deficit. Having your macros set up will be even better. It will help you portion out what ur body needs and still counting your calories. I am 60 pounds down in 9 months counting calories and tracking macros
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Adjusting your macros may make weight loss easier for you. It can help improve your health too.
  • MFPSK1977
    MFPSK1977 Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's sorta the same thing. Paying attention to macros and macro goals will help you avoid too many empty calories. While you could lose weight meeting your calorie goals with (exaggeration) ice cream all day, I doubt you went to a trainer to eat like that. She should set you some goals to reach each day.