Do you have to be 'into it' to burn fat and lose weight?

This question is a bit confusing, but basically, when you exercise, do you have to 'be into it,' meaning (and as stupid as it might sound)... can you exercise while being bored but at the same time being effective and burning fat?

I ask this because sometimes I'll be exercising, listening to music, but I'm just not into the exercise. My body will be moving, I'll be sweating, and the regular processes that come with exercising, but what if you're just mindlessly doing it? Is that still effective?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Depends on what you're doing, but yes. Just pay enough attention to be mindful of your form. I kind of zone out when I run. I would not zone out if I were using weights.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    If you're heart rate is elevated I would imagine it's working. If I'm out for a run I'm not thinking about running I'm thinking of lots of stuff. If I'm skating often I'm thinking what I'll have for food after. I'm working just have a weird mind
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Yep. If you're running, you're running. It may take a bit longer to get the same burn, but as long as you make the same distance, you're golden.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    If you're doing the work you're burning the fat. Your muscles don't care what your brain is doing.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    You burn fat on days that your calorie intake is less than your calorie output.. regardless of whether you exercise. :+1:
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    If you are bored while driving down the road does your car still burn gas? How much you enjoy what you are doing has nothing to do with calorie burn.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Yep, same as mindlessly eating...the calories still count even if you ate a whole tub of ice-cream and don't understand how it is now empty (never me btw) :pensive:
    When I am running, sometimes i realize my effort is only half arsed, so I pick up the pace a bit. Still counts though, just means I burn a bit less than usual.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    If you're not "into it" and you're not raising your heart rate, then no-you will not burn as many calories. But some activity is better than none. You should see me on the stationary bike. Slow as *kitten* and I swear I've done it while eating candy.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,048 Member
    If your body is doing the work, it doesn't matter what your brain is doing.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    If you're not grunting as loud as you can, you're not getting any gainz. C'mon, everyone knows this.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I can see how the effectiveness would be indirectly affected by boredom. If you're just blindly swinging a weight just for the sake of getting X number of reps done, chances are your form isn't good and you're using more momentum and less muscle than optimal. That's going to make the exercise less effective as a muscle builder.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    the regular processes that come with exercising

that's why you're probably still good. the internal part of those regular processes still happen too.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    You don't have to go full out every time. I walk on my treadmill while watching a show. I'm still moving and burning calories, but totally not focused on the activity. I would not recommend this when lifting... I've done a squat and crumpled under the weight... I'm guessing I wasn't fully engaged at the moment.