• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    I actually think OP is asking a good question, I am currently bulking and I screwed up by cutting too quickly after my bulking cycle. Shouldn't he maintain first or go right to cutting? If he does shouldn't he gradually lower his calories to see how he does? I mean unless it's just as simple as dropping right to caloric deficit, I find that you can lose muscle easily that way.

When going from cutting to bulking, it is a good idea to eat at your new perceived maintenance as it has likely decreased and your body is primed for fat storing.

When going from bulking to cutting, I like to jump right in and get going.

This. Get the job done.

The way I see it too, you diet a little aggressive...maybe you lose a little muscle (which is pretty much inevitable anyway) but the LONGER you stretch a diet out for...meh, maybe you lose even more muscle this way rather than a quick bing bang boom.

(This is how I type before I have finished a cup of coffee sorry).

Yeesh this is me right now. My cut is going all summer. It sucks.

Lady you look lean anyway. Try being 5'4" and 140 lbs.

No milk no sugar no bread equals definition

Did the owner at your gym tell you that?
    I must be doing this wrong - I've consumed all 3 during comp preps.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'd tackle any cut based on how much fat there is to lose.

So something small like 10lbs, then an aggressive cut might be wise.

With a larger amount of fat, and aggressive low calorie cut might not be sustainable for a long period. So a moderate cut, perhaps split into 2 or 3 periods separated by a maintenance phase would be more suitable.
  • GerlaineGerry
    GerlaineGerry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You need to keep your protein intake up and cut carbs (depending on each individual) and keep fats low. Reduce calorie intake. Do lower weights lifting weights and do higher reps. And cardio at least 45mins 6x per week, maybe even 2x a day
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    gportman08 wrote: »
    You need to keep your protein intake up and cut carbs (depending on each individual) and keep fats low. Reduce calorie intake. Do lower weights lifting weights and do higher reps. And cardio at least 45mins 6x per week, maybe even 2x a day

No that is way overkill unless you are an althlete or training for a sport. It is great for heart health, but you know you can cut effectively doing zero cardio :o . Not sure where you are getting your info from.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Cutting carbs is not necessary, low fats are not necessarily a good idea (depending on how low you're talking) and low weights/high reps is silly BS straight out of a woman's magazine (not to mention highly counterproductive and a great way to lose muscle mass rather than maintaining it). And as addressed above by Sardelsa, that all that cardio is completely unnecessary.

So basically, ignore all the above advice. Except the "keep your protein intake up", she did get that part right.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Cutting carbs is not necessary, low fats are not necessarily a good idea (depending on how low you're talking) and low weights/high reps is silly BS straight out of a woman's magazine (not to mention highly counterproductive and a great way to lose muscle mass rather than maintaining it). And as addressed above by Sardelsa, that all that cardio is completely unnecessary.

So basically, ignore all the above advice. Except the "keep your protein intake up", she did get that part right.

Pretty much this.

When I cut, all cardio goes away, total volume goes down and intensity (weight on the bar) goes up. I tend to be extreme with it (I go to a 9.5 RPE for at least one single every session), but my method gives me a fantastic way to gauge any strength loss (what little actually happens) that may occur during my RFL runs.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I jump right into it. Aggressive at first, to drop some water weight fast, then drag *kitten* for months.
  • jcstevens86
    jcstevens86 Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Im on a bulk right now and will continue until about jan then maintain until mid feb and start cuttin then and be ready to maintain again by summer