back injury/surgery and fitness

I'm 16 mths post back surgery and still struggling. I used to be super fit....probs why I injured myself!

Looking for some tips or programmes that can incorporate some lifting work. Currently I do 15k steps a day most days and a little arm weights. Dips and squats with no weights. But frightened to do core work. I need core as this will strengthen my back.

Been back to docs and all I got was an info sheet on exercises I am already incorporating in to my day and naproxen tablets. referred me back to physio.

Considering finding a trainer but don't know where to start vetting their experience.

Any tips out there would be very much appreciated.

thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited July 2017
    "Core" work too often focuses on flexion moves like crunches or twists, which are not only limited, but probably not indicated for your situation.

It is likely best to focus on glute strength and spinal stability now.

Push up--full body, change incline if necessary
    Modified single leg squat and reach-reach w/both arms toward a step or chair 12-24 inches high rather than touch the ground
    Lat pull down
    Bird dog
    Dead bug-or weighted dead big
    Biceps curl/shoulder press combo
    Side steps with bands, monster walks
    Glute bridges

Just some examples.
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    much appreciated x
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Considering finding a trainer but don't know where to start vetting their experience.

That's probably the best idea, rather than following cookie-cutter advice. If your physio or doctor can't recommend a trainer, look for one with a degree in physiotherapy or kinesiology. That might take a lot of looking. :+1:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I'm 16 mths post back surgery and still struggling. I used to be super fit....probs why I injured myself!

Looking for some tips or programmes that can incorporate some lifting work. Currently I do 15k steps a day most days and a little arm weights. Dips and squats with no weights. But frightened to do core work. I need core as this will strengthen my back.

Been back to docs and all I got was an info sheet on exercises I am already incorporating in to my day and naproxen tablets. referred me back to physio.

Any tips out there would be very much appreciated.

thanks in advance :)

What got me back into being fit after a back injury was a water aerobics class. Cardio, core strengthening, stretching, and arm and leg strengthening. Helped the back tremendously and also increased flexibility. Laid the foundation for other types of workouts.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Look for a Starting Strength coach in your area. There's one in London that, while a bit of a hike, will be well worth your time as this is exactly what they're trained to do - get people strong safely.