My knee has started to hurt after losing weight.

Options
I've been on my diet for about a month now. I was 210 lbs and now I'm at 200. About a week ago I started suffering a sharp pain in the bottom half of my right knee when I walk. I looked into it and learned that weight loss can lead to such pain and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem themselves.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Actually weight loss helps to alleviate pain because you're carrying less of a load. If it hurts, it's usually because an exercise regimen was added on and the body is still getting use to the work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    There are many reasons why you may have knee pain... including past or current injuries to which excess weight can be an exacerbating factor.

Circumstances where the loss of 10lbs would be the direct cause of pain... seem unlikely.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I have been through pain periods with my legs on my journey. Usually when associated with weightless I noticed that it was also a time when I either upped my excersise (so it was a case of overuse) alternatively it also happened when my gait changed. Sort of a feeling of re-aligning my hips because of reduction of thunder thighs and as a result knees being used at a different angle if that makes any sense.

I notice that I have a difference stance with my hips/legs now I used to think I had wide hips and I do, just not as wide as I had and thought was naturally me
  • rudeatude
    rudeatude Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    There are many reasons why you may have knee pain... including past or current injuries to which excess weight can be an exacerbating factor.

Circumstances where the loss of 10lbs would be the direct cause of pain... seem unlikely.

The reason I thought the weight loss might have something to do with it is because I read that when you lose weight, your joints in your knees lose the extra bit of fat that acts as shock absorbers.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    rudeatude wrote: »
    The reason I thought the weight loss might have something to do with it is because I read that when you lose weight, your joints in your knees lose the extra bit of fat that acts as shock absorbers.

The knee's shock absorbers are cartilage, which is mostly protein. My guess is you've increased your activity level, and that's what hurt your knee. Anyway, sharp pain should be checked out by a doctor. Try to see a sports doctor or orthopedist. :+1: