Dizzy and Light headed

Options
Hi all,

My weight has decided to level out for the time being at 12 stone (Im not too worried about it right now)
I've been working night shifts for the past week (so I've been averaging 4 hours sleep a day instead of 6-8 hours).

I've suddenly, in the last few days, been feeling very light headed and dizzy when I stand (not as I stand up, and not when I stand too quick - though I do get dizzy when I stand too quick)

Im wondering if its due to my body adjusting to my new life choice in food, or whether my body cant cope with the weight loss as well as the night shifts at the same time

Just wondering on your opinions
:ohwell:

Replies

• garciabnm
    garciabnm Posts: 138
    Options
    this happens to me all the time, id like some info as well.
  • Marie91112
    Marie91112 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    most likely a combo of both. See if you can snack more throughout the day and def drink more water. Often dehydration can set in without you really realizing until it's too late, making you lethargic. Also, being that you are now technically active for more hours in the day than a normal person, drinking more is a must to compensate for the increase in fluids you are expending. Back to snacking...this doesn't have to mean an increase in calories, though to combat the dizziness, maybe you should. Remember not passing out on the job is more important that losing or maintaining your weight at this point. At least IMO. Again, these snacks should be nutrient rich foods to give you the most bang for your buck. Like nuts and fruits. I hope this helps your lightheadedness go away.
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going to a doctor. I dealt with this for a long time without seeing a doctor and it just continued to get worse. Turns out I have vertigo - not just dizzy spells.
  • leesyc81
    leesyc81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It started happening to me too after I had lost 3 1/2 stone. I'm blaming it on possible drop in bp as u stand, as low bp causes dizzy light headedness. I'm getting used to it now but bit scary when u have a bad dizzy spell where u think your going to pass out.
  • phonepest
    phonepest Posts: 43
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Could it be low blood sugar? Are you going long periods before eating? I've also found that sometimes my body needs electrolytes instead of just water. Hope y'all feel better!
  • madaleingericke
    madaleingericke Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Low blood pressure?
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    When this happened to me, a few years ago, a blood test revealed I was anemic, lack of iron

My GP put me on iron tablets

perhaps worth checking with GP?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My first thought is get more sleep, or more than 4 hours. My second thought is how hot is it where you live? Could be heat exhaustion or the like.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    My guess is because you're only averaging 4 hours a sleep a day.
  • sixty_five
    sixty_five Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If it happens if you stand up too quick-probably a rush of blood to a head. Maybe you sleep too less.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You might not be eating enough.

That happens to me sometimes when I wake up in the morning or if it's the middle of the day and I haven't eaten a lot of calories yet. Usually it's pretty bad in the morning but I don't think that's related to my diet, I've been like that for years.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Noticed you are in the UK and there is also a nasty bug going round with similar symptoms - i had it a few weeks back. If it is still there after a few more days I would go to the Doctors.

Could also be down to this weather we are having especially the high humidity.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Check your blood pressure and blood sugar level
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If this is related to weight loss or diet change, it would only be indirectly related. I don't see this as related to the body "adjusting" but is more likely due to 1)lack of sleep 2) fluid in the inner ear due to congestion or other problem 3) low potassium or, most likely 4) low blood pressure. Please make sure that you are getting plenty of water (64 oz is the bare minimum) and if this persists I suggest you see your doctor. To my knowledge, this is not a normal part of weight loss or fitness. Be well!
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Many Thanks for all your suggestions, they are very helpful.

I know its not down to low BP... I suffer with very mildly high BP... but it could be down to my sensitivity in my BP change (when my PB elevates ever so slightly I get headaches and migraines, so the same could be said for the BP dropping mildly could cause dizzyness)

when Im working nights I take loads of fruit to work with me so I can snack throughout the night (see my diary for details :) )

We have had unusal weather for the UK for the last month.... back to the usual rain tonight tho lol

Lack of sleep will definitely be fixed by tomorrow night (hitting my days off :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: )

Thank you all
    I will keep an eye on the dizzy spells, am already booked in to see the doc for another matter next week, so i shall mention it

:love: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :love:
  • CatAMcC
    CatAMcC Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm now experiencing this and at around the same weight. Just wondered if you felt any better? Got docs appointment later today. Tues my BP was very low but seems to evened out last few days (mum a nurse and has a BP machine at home for my dad)

Food and cups of tea gives instant relief but only temporary.

Feels like i'm not really there at times and a sensation briding above my nose in my skull.

I also drink 3-4 litres a day of water so definitely not dehydrated
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Blimey,

Night shifts and only four hours sleep? Sounds like you have small children, to me... ;-)

I had those symptoms when I had anaemia - a blood test showed it up. Glad you're booked in to the doctor, hope he/she can sort you out.

Best of luck. xx
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Have you had a cold or similar virus recently? You can get an ear condition called labyrinthitis after one, which causes affects balance organs giddiness.Ask someone to check if you sway when standing with eyes closed, if so, see GP.