New work out - First time using weights program

Options
mskimee
mskimee Posts: 228 Member
I am starting a weights program I found online that seems to fit in with what I want, however I'm slightly confused by it. I tried getting a program done at a gym, but the trainer guy gave me weights I couldn't lift and then told me I wasn't doing enough sets and I should "train to failure" every session or it was a wasted session. I left the session in agony and thought I was gonna die for a week after so I went online and found something more appropriate to my weight and height and have the weights and equipment at home now. (Yes, hands up, I'm a wuss)
Anyway, I need some advice off the more experienced MFPs! It says 3 sets of each exercise and 8-12 reps per set, but women should do 15-20 reps per set. Why am I doing more reps than a man? Should I be using lighter weights? Or doing less sets? Or keeping same weights and sets and just doing more reps?
Also it says to do the weights program 3 times a week. Should I be doing cardio on the other days? Should I be doing other weights on other days?

I'm 5ft and 120lb, looking to tone my arms and thighs and peel away the last bit of belly fat if I can. Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks!

Replies

• mskimee
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I'm hoping that as I get stronger I can start adding new exercises in and upping my weights. the program gives a 2 month plan and then advises a new program after that. One day I'd love to go back to a gym and be able to use the weights area with confidence! :)
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'd find a new trainer if they gave me stuff to do I was not ready for. Even compound lifting programs like SS and SL start very low on weight to learn lifts. They also start with much lower rep range. Same for both sexes. The point is to gain strength in those programs not lose weight or build muscle really. It's a side effect of gaining strength but not the point. Then again as a former "drone" what do I know.

A program I see mentioned here for women is Strong Curves. From seeing the success many have had with it might be worth checking out.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »
    Why am I doing more reps than a man?

damn good question. here's good ol' mark rippetoe, with maybe my favourite soundbite from starting strength:

"[yadayadayada stats] Anyone who claims that women are so different in their physiological response to exercise that the principles of basic barbell training simply don't apply is thinking either irrationally or commercially."

in fairness to your twit of a trainer, he may have been thinking of you more as a newbie than a woman. but yeah, a little more rippetoe to think about. "Not all expensive advice is worth the money."

soreness is to be expected when you've never done it before, but 'train to failure' every time is just stupid for someone who's just starting out. stick with it and keep shopping around and learning, because lifting is really great and so worth doing.

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Why am I doing more reps than a man?

damn good question. here's good ol' mark rippetoe, with maybe my favourite soundbite from starting strength:

"[yadayadayada stats] Anyone who claims that women are so different in their physiological response to exercise that the principles of basic barbell training simply don't apply is thinking either irrationally or commercially."

Ooh, love this. I personally avoid anything directed to or marketed towards women only.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    The program might be assuming that women are lifting lighter weight, therefore giving you more reps. As long as your program is balanced, just follow it with whichever rep range is appropriate for the weight you are lifting. If you are able to complete the higher ranges, then add weight. Cardio on alternate days is fine, no need for more lifting.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    @OP, Which program are you considering? Can you provide a link? Here's a list of the programs most recommended on MFP: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Hcordova96
    Hcordova96 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your muscles can't count, so don't sacrifice your form to get the last few reps in. If you only make it to 8 out of 12 and you feel it in your muscles, that's better than doing a set with bad form to make it to 12 reps.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I will reiterate that number of reps doesn't really matter as much as form. You want your form to be as perfect as possible on every lift, no matter if it's the first or the 12th. When your form falters it can lead to injury.
    Your trainer was an idiot having you lift heavy and to failure on your first day. A good trainer will always start you off with low to no weight (just the bar) so they can adjust any form errors before you go heavy and risk injury.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    I will reiterate that number of reps doesn't really matter as much as form. You want your form to be as perfect as possible on every lift, no matter if it's the first or the 12th. When your form falters it can lead to injury.
    Your trainer was an idiot having you lift heavy and to failure on your first day. A good trainer will always start you off with low to no weight (just the bar) so they can adjust any form errors before you go heavy and risk injury.

I disagree that rep range does not matter. In fact it matters quite a bit for goals you have in mind. Power lifters work in a very low rep range for a reason. Same with bodybuilders working in higher rep ranges in general. For a new lifter it may not be as important but still important. Oh and form on every lift, no matter what weight or rep range, is important. Powerlifters doing 1-3 rep sets need perfect form as much as a bodybuilder doing 10-12 rep isolation work. Form prevents injury.

The main issue I had with the OP's trainer is the whole to failure idea. For advanced lifters maybe ok for 1 or 2 exercises. For a new lifter it invites poor form and drastically increase chance of injury and DOMS. I had minimal soreness when I started lifting doing SS. It actually felt too easy and not doing enough for first few weeks. Thing is I worked with a coach and even really light weight he forced me into form and gave me lifting queues. Not once was I told to lift to failure.

Here are some pretty good articles on rep range. They may not be perfect but more information allows a more informed opinion.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/set-rep-bible
    http://www.kingofthegym.com/reps-and-sets
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/truth-rep-ranges-muscle-growth
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Honestly your trainer was a dangerous moron. Lifting to failure on your first outing is a recipe for injury. It's controversial even for experienced lifters, and inexperienced ones don't have the form to lift heavy without getting out of form.

The recommendation for women versus men is based on the idea that women have a different ratio of muscle fibers. It's not necessarily valid. You can lift using the same program as a man and nothing bad will happen.

If you're doing full body three times a week, resist the temptation to add more lifting. You need rest days for muscles to recover. You can add cardio if you want, but you don't need to. The classic beginner mistake is to do too much stuff. A few compound exercises which work all muscle groups is all you need, and adding to it is not better, at least not until you know what you're doing.

For heart health adding cardio is kinda important. :smile:
  • mskimee
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    @OP, Which program are you considering? Can you provide a link? Here's a list of the programs most recommended on MFP: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I can't find the link to the workout I'm doing (i printed it off at work and then deleted the link as the computers are shared) but I found it on MFP and it was recommended for beginners and had a full body program. I'll try and find it and share it!

I was a huge cardio fan for the last 2 years and only recently started looking at weights, I enjoy the cardio so have decided to keep it up 3 days a week and do weights 3 days (leaving one for rest) and at the minute I'm only lifting what's comfortable and upping the weights as I get stronger (this is the plan anyway!)

So apart from not training to failure (thank god!!) what other advice can you give a newbie to weights that will help me along the way?
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    So apart from not training to failure (thank god!!) what other advice can you give a newbie to weights that will help me along the way?

Keep the weights light and practice form, including breathing and bracing . Video yourself lifting, your mind and body aren't always in sync. Don't be afraid to lighten the load if you need to improve your form. Have fun and enjoy being a bada*s.