Newbie ... well, kind of.

Options
Hi all,

Looking for some supportive friends to motivate me across this journey and who can also help out with some meal ideas, as I can get easily bored with my food.

I've lost weight before on MFP but under different circumstances. I'm now back for round two, however now having to reevaluate my food due to numerous allergies/intolerances and possible coeliac disease (gene positive, and currently awaiting testing so unable to remove gluten completely just yet).

Would love to hear from anyone who is willing to support or is in the same situation as me in regards to needing special dietary requirements :smiley:

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What are your allergies and intolerances to? Their likely to be harder to work around than gluten
  • bellmjr
    bellmjr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Looking for some supportive friends to motivate me across this journey and who can also help out with some meal ideas, as I can get easily bored with my food.

I've lost weight before on MFP but under different circumstances. I'm now back for round two, however now having to reevaluate my food due to numerous allergies/intolerances and possible coeliac disease (gene positive, and currently awaiting testing so unable to remove gluten completely just yet).

Would love to hear from anyone who is willing to support or is in the same situation as me in regards to needing special dietary requirements :smiley:

• bellmjr
    bellmjr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I too have done MFP before a few times! I'm back as need to lose some weight and get fitter! I have Hashimoto disease of thyroid and bad arthritis, fibromyalgia, which doesn't help matters! But I need to be positive and do something about it! So all help and advise will be appreciated.
  • meetingacrosstheriver
    meetingacrosstheriver Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What are your allergies and intolerances to? Their likely to be harder to work around than gluten

Allergies are to all nuts and peanuts (I'm anaphylactic, so can't have trace amounts) also have lactose intolerance and can only tolerate very small amounts of dairy products.
  • meetingacrosstheriver
    Options
    bellmjr wrote: »
    Hi, I too have done MFP before a few times! I'm back as need to lose some weight and get fitter! I have Hashimoto disease of thyroid and bad arthritis, fibromyalgia, which doesn't help matters! But I need to be positive and do something about it! So all help and advise will be appreciated.

Hi bellmjr,

Oh you have so much going on! Autoimmune diseases suck! Arthritis runs in my family, so I know how difficult life can be with it.

I've sent you a friend request, would love to support you and hopefully together we can lose weight, become fitter and get these autoimmune conditions under control!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    That's not so bad - I rarely eat gluten, just because I prefer loads of vegies to bread/grains. I love my spice drawer - I use those to add flavour to meals in various combinations, and it helps keep things interesting.
  • meetingacrosstheriver
    Options
    That's not so bad - I rarely eat gluten, just because I prefer loads of vegies to bread/grains. I love my spice drawer - I use those to add flavour to meals in various combinations, and it helps keep things interesting.

Yes, I have a lot of spices in the pantry which do get used to add flavour. Unfortunately where I am, there is only one brand that I can get which is free from nuts and gluten and any traces of them. I also have a variety of different sauces which I use in small amounts to add flavour to things like stir fry. The thing that has been tricky though is substituting ingredients I can't have, as sometimes the recipes don't come out the same. Although I've had the nut allergy for about 18 months now, and now the possibility of coeliac disease, I'm still learning what is safe and not safe for me to have :smile: