I want to lose weight faster

Options
2»

Replies

• sweetychang
    sweetychang Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Others here are offering you helpful advice as far as getting your food intake shored up. I can't stress the importance of this enough in being integral to your overall success. Most people new to logging are shocked initially when they actually get an accurate tally of their calories and realize how much they are taking in.

Though I guess I got a bit ahead of myself because before this can take place, we also need to know your TDEE, or total daily energy expenditure. This is the amount of calories you burn per day for your height, weight, age, etc. even if you are in a coma if you choose "sedentary" for activity level (which I recommend to give yourself some wiggle room). Once you are armed with your TDEE, you can reasonably decide how many calories to cut from this to achieve weight loss. Do not make the mistake of being too aggressive with with your cut. If you do you will only burn yourself out. Find your TDEE here: http://damnripped.com/tdee-calculator/

OK, so now to the heart of your question which is establishing a gym regimen. I realize how intimidating this can be, trust me. I sat at the back of my local Planet Fitness for 6 months doing nothing but treadmill having no idea how to proceed and being scared to venture over towards the weights and circuit machines. People who have been at this game for awhile sometimes forget how awkward this is for a new person. I sure as hell never did. There are a million resources out there online for the newbie gym person, but the route I took when I first started was via BB and I find it is perfect for beginners. This is literally a ground zero/square one type of program that people who are utterly clueless about the gym can get benefit from, and it is extremely well explained. You can find this here: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-ultimate-30-day-beginners-guide-to-fitness.html?mcid=SM_youtube_yBMGtuUBAbI

Naturally you will want to move on and up your game eventually, but don't rush things! Stay on the beginner course for as long as is necessary until you got it down like the back of your hand. It covers numerous key concepts like proper form, timing, reps, dealing with fatigue, etc that you need to fully absorb until it's just second nature. Move to a different routine only when you are truly ready. Don't worry, they are not going anywhere, and there are literally thousands to choose from.

Take things one step at a time as I described above, be meticulous, and most of all be patient. If you follow this mantra success will not only be possible for you but inevitable.

Virtual hug.. thank you. <3
  • sweetychang
    sweetychang Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    First of all, whats your height, weight, calorie goal, and open your food diary.

Based on your current weight you should be losing close to 3 pounds per week (so you should already be close to 15~ pounds down at this point).

I think you might be eating significantly more calories than you think you are. This is what needs to be addressed first.
    Thank you guys for the feedback.
    I am female 5' 3 290lbs
    MFP Calorie for a day is 1830
    I work in a clothing store without breaks and including walking to and from transportation(NYC) all that gets to about 30,000 steps a day. I use map my walk app recommended by MFP.

How do i open my food diary?

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    First of all, whats your height, weight, calorie goal, and open your food diary.

Based on your current weight you should be losing close to 3 pounds per week (so you should already be close to 15~ pounds down at this point).

I think you might be eating significantly more calories than you think you are. This is what needs to be addressed first.
    I am female 5' 3 290lbs
    I work in a clothing store without breaks and including walking to and from transportation(NYC) all that gets to about 30,000 steps a day. I use map my walk app recommended by MFP.

Settings > Diary Settings > Public
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Others here are offering you helpful advice as far as getting your food intake shored up. I can't stress the importance of this enough in being integral to your overall success. Most people new to logging are shocked initially when they actually get an accurate tally of their calories and realize how much they are taking in.

Though I guess I got a bit ahead of myself because before this can take place, we also need to know your TDEE, or total daily energy expenditure. This is the amount of calories you burn per day for your height, weight, age, etc. even if you are in a coma if you choose "sedentary" for activity level (which I recommend to give yourself some wiggle room). Once you are armed with your TDEE, you can reasonably decide how many calories to cut from this to achieve weight loss. Do not make the mistake of being too aggressive with with your cut. If you do you will only burn yourself out. Find your TDEE here: http://damnripped.com/tdee-calculator/

OK, so now to the heart of your question which is establishing a gym regimen. I realize how intimidating this can be, trust me. I sat at the back of my local Planet Fitness for 6 months doing nothing but treadmill having no idea how to proceed and being scared to venture over towards the weights and circuit machines. People who have been at this game for awhile sometimes forget how awkward this is for a new person. I sure as hell never did. There are a million resources out there online for the newbie gym person, but the route I took when I first started was via BB and I find it is perfect for beginners. This is literally a ground zero/square one type of program that people who are utterly clueless about the gym can get benefit from, and it is extremely well explained. You can find this here: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-ultimate-30-day-beginners-guide-to-fitness.html?mcid=SM_youtube_yBMGtuUBAbI

Naturally you will want to move on and up your game eventually, but don't rush things! Stay on the beginner course for as long as is necessary until you got it down like the back of your hand. It covers numerous key concepts like proper form, timing, reps, dealing with fatigue, etc that you need to fully absorb until it's just second nature. Move to a different routine only when you are truly ready. Don't worry, they are not going anywhere, and there are literally thousands to choose from.

Take things one step at a time as I described above, be meticulous, and most of all be patient. If you follow this mantra success will not only be possible for you but inevitable.

BMR is what your body burns by being in a coma. TDEE is your BMR and what your burn with exercise. TDEE can change daily depending on how active a person is.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Don't we all, don't we all.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

BMR is what your body burns by being in a coma. TDEE is your BMR and what your burn with exercise. TDEE can change daily depending on how active a person is.

Correct, which is why I suggested using "sedentary" as this allow for plenty of leverage when you are first starting out. Hell, for that matter, I still to this day use sedentary when calculating my own TDEE for precisely the same reason.
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am female 5' 3 290lbs

I found Map My Walk to SERIOUSLY overestimate calories burned. It was double what MFP said. MFP even overestimates. I would just put your walking into MFP and eat half of those back along with weighing your food. You will be eating way more than you think if you are basing your exercise calories of MMW
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Correct, which is why I suggested using "sedentary" as this allow for plenty of leverage when you are first starting out. Hell, for that matter, I still to this day use sedentary when calculating my own TDEE for precisely the same reason.

Sedentary for someone logging 30000 steps! Sedentary means mostly seated.

When you are attempting to come up with a reasonable estimate deliberately selecting incorrect values doesn't make sense.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I keep sedentary because I work from home and virtually all my getting up and moving about is purposeful exercise. Now, I try to get in at least 2 hours of walking every day and just over an hour of strength training, warmups, and cool-down three times a week. So, I'm pretty active now overall. And if I do a 15-minute run to the corner grocery, I count it (deducting times waiting in line if over 5 minutes; I do try to march in place at traffic lights). When I tried resetting my activity level to 'lightly active', it threw me, because I wasn't sure whether to count the grocery runs. And my walks vary, etc. I found it much harder to gauge my activity calories when I tried to distinguish between 'exercise' walks and 'this is what being lightly active looks like' walks.

So, I pretty much log every step I take outside the house, eat back half my calories, and the weight-loss is happening like it should. Even if 2-3 hours of activity/day isn't exactly the definition of sedentary, it's working for me.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    T
    sijomial wrote: »

Sedentary for someone logging 30000 steps! Sedentary means mostly seated.

When you are attempting to come up with a reasonable estimate deliberately selecting incorrect values doesn't make sense.

Then she is naturally free to adjust it as needed, I was just offering my suggestion from my own experience and what has worked for me. Everyone's mileage may vary in this game.

Consequently, and as a minor point, I also live urban like the OP (downtown Chicago). I walk quite a bit just to get to the L station nearest me, which is our mass transit system. I sold my car last year as it is more of a pain than anything around these parts, so I walk quite a bit just to get around in general. I never get anywhere close to those numbers, even on days I am buzzing around the office like a bee and head out for lunch. 30K for most people is in the vicinity of 15 miles. That seems awfully steep, even for a NYC existence. Perhaps some FitBit calibration is in order.
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am 290lbs and i want to lose weight faster without relying on just diet. I have lost 5lbs im sure of since jun 5th 2017, i was 295lbs before that day. One thing with making the decision to lose weight is that I've decided to read and do research on what could help but I've seen so many types of diets on google and youtube that i am overwhelmed.

Currently i have minimized my sugar intake to stevia most if the time, i make it a point to cook my own food and i stopped taking cereal. I workout doing HIIT at least 3times a week and since i work in retail i am on my feet 5 to 7hrs on end at least 30000 steps three days a week.

I need help, how do i plan my workouts/how many times to get the best result. I noticed my body is getting soft especially my stomach area and i have more shape around the smallest part of my waist.

Please help.

When you set up your calories in MFP, what did you set it to lose? For example, I set mine to lose 1 lb a week (I had 120 pounds to lose when I started 98 pounds ago.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    You CAN lose 1% of your body weight a week safely and for you that's almost 3lbs. If you're as active as you state, you should have lost more than just 5lbs. in a month.
    It doesn't sound like you're counting calories correctly. Start there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • theWODdoll
    theWODdoll Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose weight is diet & exercise. That's it. There's no secret or anything else to it except sticking to it 24/7. Dieting is a 24/7 job with no breaks. For exercise honestly the best way is crossfit. But regardless of what you do, just start with what you can do to assess your current fitness level, then increase it over time.

Start with 3 days a week, then 4 then 5.
    Maybe start with a 10 min walk, or yoga, or free weights, jump rope, dance, whatever you want to do, just get your heart rate up, use your muscles and get sweaty! Or even look up workout videos on YouTube.

Just be patient and enjoy the journey to get fit! You can do it!!!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    theWODdoll wrote: »
    The only way to lose weight is diet & exercise. That's it. There's no secret or anything else to it except sticking to it 24/7. Dieting is a 24/7 job with no breaks. For exercise honestly the best way is crossfit. But regardless of what you do, just start with what you can do to assess your current fitness level, then increase it over time.

Maybe start with a 10 min walk, or yoga, or free weights, jump rope, dance, whatever you want to do, just get your heart rate up, use your muscles and get sweaty! Or even look up workout videos on YouTube.

weight loss is all about diet. exercise is good for your body though in many ways. and why is crossfit the best way? and why work up to 5 days a week? why not just do 3 days a week? I dont do crossfit and have lost weight and a lot of inches just being in a deficit. even the 2 months I couldnt exercise due to an injury I still lost weight being in a deficit. even a slow walk is better than nothing at all. some people need diet breaks from time to time as well.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    theWODdoll wrote: »

You can lose weight sitting on the couch, you dont need exercise. And not everyone likes crossfit as much as crossfitters do.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given great advice so far that you should defiantly take them up on. I would like to offer a slightly different thing to think about. Being a female, our bodies can be... troublesome. In the last month I changed my diet and exercise regime big time, and my body reacted, big time. Suddenly my lady parts are working on overdrive and I've had 3 menstrual cycles back to back to back in about 30 days (yes i have a dr. appointment scheduled). So in the last month the scale says I've lost 0-4 pounds depending on the day, it's EXTREMELY frustrating. That being said the reliable measuring tape has told me that even though the scale is being an a-hole, I've lost a combined total of 3 inches from my body.

My story is very unique, but what I'm saying is that your body will have a mind of it's own on this journey so it may help your progress to track weight AND measurements to get a better picture.
  • brentleyann1
    brentleyann1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's 80% diet and 20% exercise. Track your calories or join a points system and keep up. Exercise is important to make sure you are tone but it's mainly saying right.
  • brentleyann1
    brentleyann1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    corgarian wrote: »
    Everyone has given great advice so far that you should defiantly take them up on. I would like to offer a slightly different thing to thiwnk about. Being a female, our bodies can be... troublesome. In the last month I changed my diet and exercise regime big time, and my body reacted, big time. Suddenly my lady parts are working on overdrive and I've had 3 menstrual cycles back to back to back in about 30 days (yes i have a dr. appointment scheduled). So in the last month the scale says I've lost 0-4 pounds depending on the day, it's EXTREMELY frustrating. That being said the reliable measuring tape has told me that even though the scale is being an a-hole, I've lost a combined total of 3 inches from my body.

My story is very unique, but what I'm saying is that your body will have a mind of it's own on this journey so it may help your progress to track weight AND measurements to get a better picture.

That's very true. I was working out like crazy and dieting after having my daughter and gained 50 lbs. hormones from the birth control caused me to gain. When I stopped it I lost the weight in 3 months.

I know my body doesn't lose on my period so that week I just expect nothing to change and then I'll lose 3 over 1 lb the next week if I was good. Sometimes I am bad on my period and eat junk.