What foods to eat and avoid

Options
Does any one have any advice on what foods to help and to avoid to lose 200+ pounds. I am rock bottom here I know I have to eat more veggies and fruit and my meals should be portioned out. I know I have to make good choices .I would like if I could make friends who are in the same way for support and to give each other confidence to lose the weight we need to

Replies

• sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that make you feel good, both physically and mentally, in measured portions. It's really that simple. Avoid "eat this,not that" thinking. Just about anything fits in an overall diet - it's just balancing when.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you like that satisfy you and help you reach your calorie/nutrient goals. Avoid foods that put you over your calorie limit, have gone bad, or that you don't like.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You can eat what you want when you are counting calories. That being said you will feel better if you are eating healthier. Fresh food is good food. Lean meats, vegetables, fruit, some whole grains. Good luck on your journey
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like, but weigh and measure *EVERYTHING* that goes in your mouth.
    Get a food scale- they're generally $10-20. Log everything honestly and don't beat yourself up when you slip.
    It may seem daunting, but you can lose the weight. Read the most helpful posts. Ask questions on the forums when you need help-- You'll get honest, direct advice.
    Good luck!
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever foods you want, you just need to learn how to fit them into your calorie goals. As you move along you'll figure out what foods have more staying power for you, (this varies between individuals), what foods just aren't worth the calories and then you'll begin finding low calorie options to replace some of the higher calorie foods that you had been eating, which will give you more wiggle room and then volume.

Weight loss comes down to hitting the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. No need to make drastic changes that aren't sustainable or that make the process miserable!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that you enjoy and keep you satisfied within your calorie budget. Avoid foods that cause self control issues or that don't taste good. For most of us, it is primarily protein and fiber that best keep us satisfied. For some it's fats. For me, fats just don't give enough volume. For some, carbs trigger their appetite. At first, while I was still obese, I did better with relatively low carbs but now that I am pretty lean, I actually find more carbs help keep me full. I would recommend primarily trying to build meals around a protein source and vegetables but ultimately you can eat whatever you want because weight loss is entirely about calories.