Hungry again

Options
rjel78
rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
I have tried to cut back a lot this past week or so and have noticed a change. Whenever I eat I am hungry within 2 hours. Is this because I'm not used to eating smaller meals or am I not getting enough protein? Have any of you also experienced this and what did you do?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hungry again can be a bunch of different things.

High soluble fiber like oatmeal can be highly satiating but for some people they are hungry again in a few hours.

A small amount of fat can help with satiety.

If your portions are just much smaller than usual you will get hungry.

You can try changing the composition, try eating more, tough it out and drink water instead, or have a low calorie high volume snack like veggies or puffed rice/wheat.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I always encourage people to look at their weekly weight loss goal first. If it is set at 2 lbs/week and you don't have at least 75 lbs to lose, your calorie allowance is likely going to leave you unnecessarily hungry. You simply say you are "trying to cut back", so does that mean you haven't filled out an MFP profile and gotten a calorie recommendation? You may be "cutting back" more than is necessary for you to lose weight in a sustainable way. Otherwise, it's a matter of experimenting with which macros (protein, fat, carbs) in which combos keep you the most satisfied. Also, I prefer larger meals so I get to feel full, rather than "snacking" all day.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public and you'll get a lot of helpful suggestions.
  • 12stone1
    12stone1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have this issue regardless of what changes I make to my diet but having a plan/pre preparing meals works for me eg,porrige wait 1 hour then work out then eggs/ww toast then spend time preparing a batch meal which i will eat over the next 2 days and i will have 3 plates of this throughout the remainder of the day leaving an hour gap between starting with a large portion and reducing portion size each time today i made a big pot of pasta with veggies and turkey.if i have a plan my cheat rate decreases/dosent exist
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced it myself, but what I'd do, would be to take it seriously and ask some questions and think. It's normal to get hungry again. If you're eating enough, feeling hungry is not a problem. How much protein are you eating? How many calories are you eating? Are you logging correctly? Are you eating balanced meals? All these questions would have been unnecessary if you opened your diary.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I get hungry if I just sit infront of the computer, or do things where I have easy access to food, or activites where I can easily multitask. If you are hungry all the time, I have to ask, are you busy enough?

I used to like walking my dogs for a few hours because it meant I was away from the house for 2-3 hours (the car ride took some time also).

That being said, eating every 3 hours is perfectly normal.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Are you still eating under the recommended MFP calories? If so, this could be a reason why you are feeling hungry a couple of hours after eating.
  • ohnonotcrystal
    ohnonotcrystal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is from the KISS school . . . I get hungry every couple hours, so I eat. I plan my meals this way. Breakfast/snack/lunch/snack/snack/dinner. Smaller meals, eating more frequently. I don't do this because some fitness guru says to, I do it because I'm hungry. I keep stuff that fits into my diet and has stuff that will keep me feeling full (fiber, fat, protein) in snack sizes. I also like to eat oat bran mixed into no sugar added applesauce, which is shockingly filling and good for your insides. I hope any of that is helpful.
  • queen_diamond
    queen_diamond Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I think many things about eating are just in ur head. e.g. as for me i was in a low calories (1200-1300 kcal) diet for 10 months i lost 23 kg. i wasn't hungry. But problem starts when i decided my weight is now ok and time to just keep it. and problem starts i am trying to eat now about 1900 kcal with 3 times a week gym . And now when i am alowed to eat some more i cant decide what i want:-) and i want everything:-) sweeties, alcohol... faties:-) and its not because of hunger its because i have desire:-) im trying to control it but not always i am succesful.

But 1 things helps me:-) i am trying to remember that ppl nowadays dont die because of hunger:-)( at least not in industral countries) and i will not die because of hunger in i dont eat icecream.